There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft is changing...

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft still has some characters with bravado, but more and more people are truly caring about what the customers need rather than career ladder climbing.

Cons

There are still times when lack of focus/coordination causes us to not deliver all that a "one Microsoft" vision could provide. This will come in time under Satya Nadella. He is amazing.

Satya, it is OK to be more forceful in changing the way this company works.

8343 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Awesome Company to Start a long term Career

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems. Large organization with lots of internal opportunities, especially moving between departments and organizations. The work is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Work life balance is always an issue, but you have to take control of your own WLB because the company will take as much as you give it.

Non-Core roles in a large enterprise company.

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work on really big things at a scale that few people get to experience. I have a lot of autonomy to do things in a way I think they should be done. I work with very smart people who are driven. We're rich so I have lots of resources at my disposal.

Cons

All your mistakes go into a metaphorical back pack that you carry with you everywhere you go and which fills up over time. A management culture that values action over planning. A very strong "what have you done for me lately" approach to people management and rewards. A culture of blame.

Learn that the skills that make someone a good manager are not the same skills that make you a high performing individual contributor and then do something constructive to change the status quo. Learn how to coach people.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft