There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A Good Place for a Start

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Great place for an internship. Allows you to get real world experience and make a difference. The work is challenging, guided while not being too stifiling. HR works well with the interns, ensuring that they are taken care off. But with so many interns (and regular employees), "things" are bound to happen. While definitely not the best in the industry, the benefits are decent enough.

Cons

Too big. Small fish in a big pond complex. Sometimes you wonder how much you can climb. Some people may be arrogant, which can be a bit of a turnoff sometimes.

And of course: the stigma of the evil empire.

Be more open and transparent with the rest of the company.

reviews filtered by

A good paycheck for selling your soul to corporate america

Current Employee - Senior Product Planner in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Planner in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is so broad and encourages job switching so it provides a lot of opportunities to find new and interesting things to do. The benefits are great and the pay is not bad.

Cons

Extremely political, even compared to other F500 tech companies I've worked for. I haven't seen a lot of strong teams, just individuals trying to be super-star brown-nosers, but each group is probably different.

Investigate tools and processes that might help managers to better understand the value/impact that employees are making beyond just the things they brown nose about. Encourage more teaming - and review how the current rewards system might impact teamwork.

2. Great place to work; but beware of the groups!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Salaries: The salaries are VERY competitive. This is common knowledge in the Seattle area. Unlike other companies, we are offered a salary that is hard to beat and they are willing to meet you halfway if they can when it comes to compensation.

The Benefits: We pay absolutely NOTHING for healthcare, vision or dental... NOTHING... Our insurance is the best and we don't even have to pay co-pays or for medication... Furthermore, MSFT offers a Legal Plan to employees... It also pays for gym membership to the best gym in town Pro Sports Club.

The Perks: Software and devices offered by MSFT can be purchased at the MSFT Store for super cheap. You also receive a Discount Card which has THE best discounts in all of Seattle. Imagine buy one entree and get the second free at the nicest restaurants in the city? This program applies to anything you can imagine - from restaurants to zoos/aquariums, plays, car purchases, spas, travel, you name it!

Cons

Hours, High Expectations on Deliverables. This isn't so bad when you consider the benefits and salary. You just need to learn how to balance.

I think it all depends on the group. However, it is important to get feedback from your team as you drive efficience and excellent performance throughout the fiscal year.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft