Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Only good for parents' bumper stickers "My child works for Microsoft"

Operations Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsMicrosoft is this world's largest software development company, this looks good to future employeers. Employees receive discounts when purchasing normally overpriced software.

ConsYou have to pay for food and snacks. Not a comfortable work environment, they discourage peaceful and collaborative working. They do not promote based on quality of work instead they promote based on popularity and their review system. Hard work is NEVER rewarded here, instead employees are promoted when they do less work and leave early. At Microsoft, if one person in management, regardless of their direct connection to you, doesn't like you, your next review will be damaged. I've received only one 0.5% raise in nearly 5 years of service. Microsoft has horrible retention of long term employees. Management is free to ridicule employees. They 'claim' raises and promotions can happen any time but I have never seen anyone recieve a promotion or raise outside of once a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the survey feedback provided by employees, not just the management feedback. Attempt to correct salary and level mistakes as soon as possible. I have seen many highly talented people leave Microsoft after a couple years because Microsoft fails to appreciate employees.

Post-BillG Microsoft is great employment - for HR and Lawyers

Lead+ Program Manager (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros: Microsoft is the new government job with better pay, better benefits, nicer offices, free starbucks coffee, flexible hours and fewer hours overall… Cons: What? You actually have to build the things you advertise and make them work? If you're a technologist and can't get hired directly… Advice to Senior Management: Bring back the harsh technology reviews (and the people who could do them). Let the managers and marketers lie. Then take… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Microsoft-The cure for what sales you

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Microsoft

Pros: Benefits, probably the best in the industry Cons: Not at all a sales environment. The opportunity to really sell does not exist, as the comp plans, managemnet, and company orientation are all mired… Advice to Senior Management: Wake up! With your dominant position in desktop you could dominate server software if… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!