Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft - The future looks great and now is the best time to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Under CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft is going in the right direction. I believe the senior leadership is doing the right things, making the Engineering changes like combined Engineering model, less management chain and focusing on the core strengths. As an employee, I get less tangled in processes and am free to do my stuff without micro-management. Great work gets noticed by not only by my manager but all the way up to the VP level and rewards follow. I am provided opportunities to take on additional responsibilities which paves the way for professional growth.
Unlike other competitor companies, work-life balance is much better at Microsoft. I can manage to spend a lot of quality time with my family, take periodic vacations, and still maintain an Excellent rating at the performance reviews.

Cons

I don't have any cons to discuss at the moment but I am still not convinced about the Performance Review changes for 2014. We will get a better understanding by September 2014.

8771 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Very good experience as a contractor

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

this company is very stable

Cons

but it is lack of growth space

Plenty of both good and not so good

Former Employee - Group Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Group Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of interesting projects and great teams at Microsoft. I met some of the brightest, hard working, high integrity people in my 9+ years of working in both the former Server and Tools and the field BMO groups. You can find rewarding jobs in both cutting edge tech as well as 20+ year old technology with massive revenue streams. I think the benefits are still among the tops in the industry.

Cons

There are a lot of review meetings regardless of the job function. Perhaps this is normal for a big company, but spending 20-40% of my time building decks instead of focusing on customers, markets, products seems excessive. Projects/product teams with the combination of great managers, great teams, big impact initiatives were hard to find. The extreme focus to deliver numbers makes it hard for new products to gain mindshare within the company.

I understand the value of the subsidiary scorecard, but it is an inhibitor for many new, smaller initiatives. The leadership needs to have a more balanced scorecard so that more of the long term initiatives can get mindshare with the field.
    The current review system doesn't foster team work. I'm not smart enough to figure out how you would build a better review system for a company as big as MS, but it doesn't seem like other tech giants have as many employees complaining about their review systems.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft