Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft - The future looks great and now is the best time to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Under CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft is going in the right direction. I believe the senior leadership is doing the right things, making the Engineering changes like combined Engineering model, less management chain and focusing on the core strengths. As an employee, I get less tangled in processes and am free to do my stuff without micro-management. Great work gets noticed by not only by my manager but all the way up to the VP level and rewards follow. I am provided opportunities to take on additional responsibilities which paves the way for professional growth.
Unlike other competitor companies, work-life balance is much better at Microsoft. I can manage to spend a lot of quality time with my family, take periodic vacations, and still maintain an Excellent rating at the performance reviews.

Cons

I don't have any cons to discuss at the moment but I am still not convinced about the Performance Review changes for 2014. We will get a better understanding by September 2014.

9262 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Good if you are a real fan, not for you otherwise.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company really cares about its employees, great benefits, perks and great campus, work-life balance is really good too. You get to work in the products millions use, and if you love MS technologies... well, you are using/creating them.

Cons

If not a real fan of Microsoft technologies, consider yourself tied up, you won't work on anything else other than MS specific technologies/environments. Makes sense from the "protect your own brand" point of view, but I found it really annoying to be closed to great technologies you have access in all the other companies (let's say, to use Ruby/Python for a side team stats project, you will probably be looked at like a weird being). That for sure makes you fall behind other engineers in the market, limiting your scope of development.

The so known calibration at the yearly performance review creates a working environment of "I won't help you because I don't want you to be above me", and I really felt that, I was even criticized for helping other teams in my organization because I should had give total priority on my team (it's not that I was not doing anything for my team, but I was the one that could help the other teams and that also benefited us).

Don't tell your employee "if I ask you to build a phone, it doesn't need to be the best phone, it can be an OK phone". That's what my manager told me and pretty much sums up what MS does: "do things that are OK".
    I'm sorry MS, I want to do the best phone. (the phone thing was an analogy, I wasn't even in the Phone division).

Changing (not growing) pains

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO with responsible and grounded vision, tons of resources and intelligent people, no more forced distribution of employee rankings*, good benefits, good work/life balance, commute shuttle, lots of internal positions and opportunities.

Cons

Too many legacy policies and procedures, High margin mind set, lack of focus on controls and cost, myopic view of the world, too many rest and vest folks, too reactive to market dynamics.

Having just wrapped up the first annual review without the dreaded "rank 'n yank", I'm not impressed. It appears any kind of employee priorities planning or commitments has gone out the window and been replaced with vague directional guidelines and even more vague expectations. There is little to no feedback on what you did or how you did it, you're just given a reward and told it is what it is. Goals/priority/rewards for the upcoming year are equally vague. This new connect system was supposed to measure and enhance performance by enabling others, building on others work (don't reinvent the wheel), and impact to business. Unfortunately, it appears not all are weighted equally with a heavy burden placed on the impact portion. In the long run, this is simply going to lead to the silo'ing that MS has talked so much about getting rid of. A typical MS product... looks great on paper, terrible on execution.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft