Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

very good

Current Employee - Intern in Cty by the Se, TX
Current Employee - Intern in Cty by the Se, TX

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is a world biggest IT company, everyone like working there. You can make a lot of friends there,and enjoy the working environment there!

Cons

They have all the smartest people there, you have to compete with them and that will be the hardest thing I think if you want to work there.

more money, more fun

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Unparalleled - If you have a chance to work there, take it

Former Employee - Group Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Big goals
    Tremendous opportunity to grow
    Products have huge impact on the market and on people's lives
    Great compensation package
    Opportunity to learn in one of the most successful companies ever

Cons

Many employees have been there so long that they may have lost some context about the real world. In Office, for example, they were unwilling to incorporate mobile devices as a 1st experience until way too late - despite multiple voices calling for it. And you can see a similar delay with Office apps for IOS. This self-centeredness also extends to management. When someone is doing well, that person is golden. When someone isn't doing well, there's no safety net. It's extremely Ayn Randian. I was there nearly 20 years - I started as an individual contributor contractor, and worked my way up to group manager (managing managers). I believed in the review system and the company for at least 15 of those years - complainers just couldn't hack it, I thought. But I honestly realize now that there is a blind spot with regard to human performance. People can still be great performers and contributors even after they've failed to deliver in a particular circumstance. Perhaps Satya will impact that for the better.

The next time you need to deal with a poor-performer, really ask yourself if you've "flipped the bit" internally too soon. Try imagining this person as your star performer and consider how you would be treating them. If it's different, remember that our expectations are a huge predictor of others' success.

Good place for a career

Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing
    Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company allows for people to move around to new roles and opportunities to grow their careers beyond one function or industry. Microsoft is large enough that you can be in the games industry for part of your career and the mobile device industry as another part without having to leave the company

Cons

The company shift functional areas organization has limited the impact a single individual can have on business beyond their core function. When Microsoft had smaller division and team of cross function people you could be doing Product Management and Planning while also doing business management all in the same role.

Make Innovation the core of what Microsoft does. Lead with Innovation, New Ideas and a bold vision that captures the imagination of the market and employees. Inspire and lead the industry.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft