There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Enterprise sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The most amazing people, very supportive culture, zero micro-management, ability to work on cool projects and get exposed to very senior leadership are the best things about MSFT. The company is doing great things at this time and employees are quite inspired. Company's stock has performed very well in the past few years and the salary and benefits are quite aggressive for new hires. I personally was positively surprised by how cool the company was as compared to my original perception. Perhaps, this is the result of the new CEO.

Cons

As a new employee you are very likely to get a bit overwhelmed at first by the amount of information you receive. This passes, however.

Don't stop doing what you are doing!

reviews filtered by

I have been in various business roles in 10+ years including customer service, manager of teams, and project management.

Current Employee - Business Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall package of benefits (connector bus/bus pass, salary, bonuses, flex schedule, vacation, holidays, med/dental, prime card, gym membership discount, tuition reimbursement, charity/giving matching 1:1, 401k, ESPP, etc.) is AMAZING.
    Ability for personal & professional growth - ex. ability to find new roles or just new project opportunities within the company or same division or even in current role. Training & possibility for assistance toward certification exams.
    The people - For the most part, I have greatly enjoyed working with my partners and peers. I have been part of some amazing teams (high performing, high morale).

Cons

Like any big company there are teams that are not enjoyable to work with/in - poor leadership, poor team morale, no clear direction - so just do your homework about how the manager manages for success, what the state is of team morale (WHI - workplace health index), etc.
    Work-life balance - In the early days I found this very hard to manage but I learned to own this and was very effective at generally staying within a 40-45 hr work week --- except in key peak business times where I would very willingly put in more time as needed. You have to be able to manage your time effectively and push-back BEFORE you are too over-committed / overwhelmed. More people need to learn how to say "no" (nicely) and educate against competing priorities & resource constraints. The business is very fast-paced and very rarely will you have someone else who can effectively ensure there is balance - so you need to do it for yourself. Managers (good ones at least) will work with you on this balance as they don't want you overwhelmed either at the risk of poor quality, missing deliverables, or lack of "white space" to come up with needed solutions.

As acquisitions take place, please immediately bring in training on management excellence to new leaders. Keep up the great work on driving toward management excellence with existing staff.
    Better alignment across big projects to avoid a lot of work getting started and then put on hold because another big initiative is being started. Sometimes that happens and is okay to take advantage of sudden new market opportunities but most times it has just been a new "idea" or new "executive" trying to make their mark. Keep focused on items already committed to and underway.

Good place to work!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some very smart people work here. Breadth of things you can work on is almost infinite.

Cons

Too much politics. People spend more time trying to gain "visibility" than doing actual work. Managers hold too much power over their reports ad can destroy their career.

Take care of the employees. Pay them well and listen to their grievances. Stop trying to do everything and instead focus on core products

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft