Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Challenging, rewarding, slow to shift direction

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate people who love what they do. Great HR support and compensation packages. Innovative and vibrant work environment. Opportunities to learn and grow, and great engagement with the community and with philanthropic organizations. Microsoft employees are generous and hardworking, as exemplified by their annual Giving campaign.

Cons

It's hard to change direction for such a large corporation, whether it's the business as a whole, or the process for an organization. Teams are often hemmed in by internal tools, processes.

9246 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

It just keeps getting better

Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I still have moments where I can't believe I get to work for such an amazing company. The people are brilliant. Collaboration and teamwork are encouraged and rewarded. The products we are shipping are beautiful. I will miss SteveB's enthusiasm and energy, but Satya is amazing and inspirational. I really love it here. I have a great work life balance as well. I am able to be home to see my kids after school and weekends are for my family. I know what my responsibilities and deliverables are, and it is up to me to perform and produce results. Leadership knows I will get my work done and they don't worry if I need to take my kids to the dentist.

Cons

It is true, there are a lot of meetings. As well as meetings to plan meetings.

Big, plenty of opportunities to work on projects from Games to Datacenter management

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of variety available. Very little micro management. Opportunity to do what you think needs to be done.

Cons

The company is currently contracting in size. Advancement is a challenge. Benefits used to be awesome but, now they are below what other companies offer. You are rewarded for your work. Just opportunities to move up are few and far between due to the contraction in workforce size. There just aren't spots opening up.

The company is reinventing themselves. This could be a PRO or a CON depending on your perspective. You could view it like a REALLY big start up. Or a company on life support.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft