Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Microsoft may be for you

Senior Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsMicrosoft is extremely professional and mature when it comes to software development. If you want to know how to really make software, this is where you want to work. Also, if you plan to have any kind of health issues, ever, you want to work here as well. The health benefits are gold plated. And the chances for advancement are good (up to senior level).

ConsIf you are not on the software development track you might not have the most fun in the world. Testers often try to move over to software development. And PMs seem to change quite frequently. So some jobs are better than others there. Also, once you reach the senior level it is very, very hard to move up to the next level (architect). Some groups don't even have an architect assigned to them, so you may never rise above senior level (I certainly couldn't). Finally, the cafeteria food is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter having tried living in a Java world, I just don't see how people can live with all the random open source stuff that literally does not work. When you develop in a Microsoft environment it all works. There is simply no comparison. But somehow you guys lost out the mindshare to every single developer I've ever met outside of Microsoft. Your development environment can cost $10,000! Haven't you figured out by now that people want their dev tools to be free. And people will put up with non-functioning crap in order to get that price of free. You guys seriously need to drop the cost of the Visual Studio environment and get people to see how easy it is to work with.

Microsoft: Still a great place to work!

Lead Software Development Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: What I really enjoy in working at Microsoft is the quality of the people (many of them truly world-class!), the high-performing company culture that… Cons: Like in any big organization, there is some red tape and politics that get in the way of agility. While this is necessary sometimes, overall… Advice to Senior Management: I'd love to see Microsoft reclaim its previous ability to lead the industry and to be the innovative company we all signed up to work… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great benefits, too much politics

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: Great benefits, good work life balance, interesting projects, very good… Cons: Salary and bonus a little below average, too much politics involved… Advice to Senior Management: Fix the Windows Phone strategy, stick to the plan Bing, keep improving the cash… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!