Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A great internship experience.

Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

All people are helpful. We create products that impact the world. During my 3-month internship, I learned more than one academic year in college.

Cons

No, I don't really think there's any downside.

This is a great company. I just hope everybody can keep up the great work and energy like ever.

8789 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Happy but worried.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

I have a young and growing family so the number one reason I liked the idea of working for Microsoft was the health benefits. Microsoft is big enough to write it's own health plan. There are a few different options, but the default plan is nothing out of pocket for a 100% coverage. No deductions. No copayments. Not even for prescriptions.

Free drinks - we have almost all the coke and pepsi products, plus some tasty sparkling water choices and a full line up of milk and juice.

The salary is fair for a fresh-out-of-school employee working in this expensive area. Other forms of compensation include big morale budgets for every team, stock awards (not options), and potential for annual bonuses equaling 20% of your annual salary.

Microsoft appears mean on the outside because of the aggression of our executives, but down in the drenches where the products are built, everyone is just excited to be a part of something big and cool. The passion and excitement of everyone about the stuff we're doing is invigorating and makes it exciting to come to work. I work in the Office group and we're confident in our products and are exited to see them used worldwide.

Cons

One word: Traffic. Seattle traffic is horrendous. A twenty mile commute is about an hour commute each way. That may be common for other big metros but it's annoying to me.

Three words: Real estate prices. In 2007, the median price in Redmond Washington for homes was over 650 thousand. Granted some of those are really nice and have a good bit of space. But I moved from a place where the same sized place cost half of that. Anywhere within a 30 minute commute to Microsoft will cost 450K+. The costs are such that the low income people are being driven out of the area and the medium income people are becoming the low income people because they can barely afford a 300 thousand dollar condo 45 minutes away from where they work.

I wish they would seek to improve our public image. There are ways to be good players in the market, still be competitive and still best everyone else. Find them. Do them.

I wish they'd focus more on our core business. I feel like we're running out into unknown territories such as search and devices (areas that we should expand to) so fast that we're losing our grip on operating systems and office productivity.

I wish they'd focus more on interoperability with our own stuff. Why some of our products don't work with other products of ours is beyond me. We've gotten too big to be nimble.

Great place to work and live, not a great place to change the world.

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Flex schedule - I don't get hassled on when I come in, leave or need time off.
    The pay is decent, enough so that I don't have to worry about anything.
    I get to learn about cool technology before others, there is a lot of that on the inside.
    The product you work on will reach millions of people, if that makes you feel better.
    It looks quite good on resume.
    You will meet some very smart people here, especially if you look for them. Alas, you do have to look.
    Depending onthe group you will have an office for yourself or share it with one other person. If privacy is your thing you'll love it.

Cons

The tools we get to work in most of the groups with are arcane - mostly C/C++. Some groups do use C# or even F#, so make sure to ask if you care.
    Also our code bases are huge and we have to matian a lot of backward compatibility where I work. It is not nearly as agile as banging out new Web two-point-oh cool app.

Also there is a huge disconnect between customers and {engineers, marketing etc}. This leads to a lot of stupid or "evil" outcomes.

If I knew what to do I would be in Senior Management. I think they should rething the company vision, because we are clealy lacking the focus and motivation we had from "PC on every desk".

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft