There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A great internship experience.

Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

All people are helpful. We create products that impact the world. During my 3-month internship, I learned more than one academic year in college.

Cons

No, I don't really think there's any downside.

Advice to Management

This is a great company. I just hope everybody can keep up the great work and energy like ever.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work and live, not a great place to change the world.

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Flex schedule - I don't get hassled on when I come in, leave or need time off.
    The pay is decent, enough so that I don't have to worry about anything.
    I get to learn about cool technology before others, there is a lot of that on the inside.
    The product you work on will reach millions of people, if that makes you feel better.
    It looks quite good on resume.
    You will meet some very smart people here, especially if you look for them. Alas, you do have to look.
    Depending onthe group you will have an office for yourself or share it with one other person. If privacy is your thing you'll love it.

Cons

The tools we get to work in most of the groups with are arcane - mostly C/C++. Some groups do use C# or even F#, so make sure to ask if you care.
    Also our code bases are huge and we have to matian a lot of backward compatibility where I work. It is not nearly as agile as banging out new Web two-point-oh cool app.

Also there is a huge disconnect between customers and {engineers, marketing etc}. This leads to a lot of stupid or "evil" outcomes.

Advice to Management

If I knew what to do I would be in Senior Management. I think they should rething the company vision, because we are clealy lacking the focus and motivation we had from "PC on every desk".

2. Working at Microsoft is fun, rewarding and has the unlimited potential of making big impact in technology

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Abundance of knowledge resources, professional and career mentorship, scope for making great impact on the world, opportunities to switch to several different roles and products within the company, great working conditions, amazing place to live (Seattle area)

Cons

Lack of vision for the company at the highest levels of management, bureaucracy, not being agile with respect to competition from smaller companies, getting isolated into highly-specialized silos of work

Advice to Management

Need to focus on core products and technologies and make them better instead of being distracted into too many diverse businesses. Trim the size of the company by weeding out people who do not contribute. Reduce the levels of middle management.