Microsoft

12 years at Microsoft

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits were great at Microsoft.
Work and life balance was stressed from the top level down.
Many opportunities to make yourself heard.

Cons

Administrative opportunities are very limited if you do not work at the Redmond campus. It was very hard to move up career wise in the administrative community there.

Need to consider more effective ways in retaining long time employees instead of just treating them as replaceable with the next person.

9236 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Microsoft: Still a great place to work!

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

What I really enjoy in working at Microsoft is the quality of the people (many of them truly world-class!), the high-performing company culture that pushes everyone to get better every day, the tremendous opportunities for learning/training and the huge impact employees can have on the world through Microsoft's products.

Cons

Like in any big organization, there is some red tape and politics that get in the way of agility. While this is necessary sometimes, overall it puts the company at a disadvantage when compared to smaller, more agile competitors. Promotions take longer and longer to get once above a certain level, so it takes a lot of patience and continuous great work to get ahead. Work-life balance has improved over the past years in general, but it's still an issue.

I'd love to see Microsoft reclaim its previous ability to lead the industry and to be the innovative company we all signed up to work for. Apple, Google and even smaller competitors are eating our lunch and Microsoft is playing catchup in many of the product lines. Instead of reacting and desperately trying to match competitors' offerings, I'd like Microsoft to be the market leader in innovation, execution and customer service. I want the "coolness" factor put back into the Microsoft brand and I want management to take bold action in this direction.

It's up to you

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The breadth of opportunities in the US and globally, the ability to have an impact (in some groups/with some products), smart people, the support for giving back (matched charitable donations and $ matching to charities for volunteer hours, employee special interest communities, diversity efforts, benefits, flexibility

Cons

You're a little fish in a big pond, sometimes politics plays way too big a part in your success or failuare, sometimes senior management makes unfathomable decisions (nix Courier?!), too many entrenched attitudes

when you did the layoffs earlier in the year you should have cut WAY deeper, and been more thoughtful about the criteria (perhaps even entertaining voluntary layoffs)... get more new blood in the company, hold managers 100% accountable for their groups' wellbeing and performance, encourage collaboration through rewards and recognition.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft