There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Company tries hard to please employees

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits are great! (100% paid, no payroll deduction or co-pays)
Stock awards are nice
Room for growth

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management
No backbone inside the company (hire ups don't stand up for things they know is a bad decision)

Advice to Management

during the "mid-year" review period, allow your employees to rate their upper management

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

12 years at Microsoft

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits were great at Microsoft.
    Work and life balance was stressed from the top level down.
    Many opportunities to make yourself heard.

Cons

Administrative opportunities are very limited if you do not work at the Redmond campus. It was very hard to move up career wise in the administrative community there.

Advice to Management

Need to consider more effective ways in retaining long time employees instead of just treating them as replaceable with the next person.

Microsoft: Still a great place to work!

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

What I really enjoy in working at Microsoft is the quality of the people (many of them truly world-class!), the high-performing company culture that pushes everyone to get better every day, the tremendous opportunities for learning/training and the huge impact employees can have on the world through Microsoft's products.

Cons

Like in any big organization, there is some red tape and politics that get in the way of agility. While this is necessary sometimes, overall it puts the company at a disadvantage when compared to smaller, more agile competitors. Promotions take longer and longer to get once above a certain level, so it takes a lot of patience and continuous great work to get ahead. Work-life balance has improved over the past years in general, but it's still an issue.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see Microsoft reclaim its previous ability to lead the industry and to be the innovative company we all signed up to work for. Apple, Google and even smaller competitors are eating our lunch and Microsoft is playing catchup in many of the product lines. Instead of reacting and desperately trying to match competitors' offerings, I'd like Microsoft to be the market leader in innovation, execution and customer service. I want the "coolness" factor put back into the Microsoft brand and I want management to take bold action in this direction.