Microsoft
3.6 of 5 7,478 reviews
www.microsoft.com Redmond, WA 5000+ Employees

Great place to work, but stay out of the pigeonhole

Group Finance Manager (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

Pros--Competitive pay with platinum-plated benefis
--Opulent office space
--Can-do spirit on new teams
--Can genuinely make a difference
--Upward mobility within your team is a distinct possibility with persistence and results

Cons--Finance and accounting systems are a mess
--When we make a difference, it's because we know how to work the system, but is that really value-add?
--Over-matrixed culture creates overburdensome bureaucracy where big projects just don't get done, but division CFOs get to move on after spending million$.
--Microsoft IT is a HUGE impediment to the success of the broader finance org
--Internal movement 100% self-driven rather than coached/choreographed at senior levels; internal job search just like an external search, complete with cold calls, resume drops, etc.
--Be forewarned that when things get stale in the group that hires you, it WILL be difficult to make a change unless you are among the anointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify, simplify, simplify!

SDET @ Microsoft

Software Design Engineer In Test (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros: Awesome benefits and work life balance Free drinks, all the time Great… Cons: Microsoft is a large company, and often you feel like a fish in a large pond.… Advice to Senior Management: Microsoft should hire Richard Branson to lead the company. It needs a new "fun" image. Get… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to work

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros: 1. Smart people around you. 2. Lot of cool technology and… Cons: 1. Unique culture and one can take upto 1 year to… Advice to Senior Management: More scrutiny and accountability on top leaders and senior partners Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.