There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Working at Microsoft gave me a pretty good experience that you could get a chance to work with one of the brightest people.

Cons

Some business owners that I know doesn't know much of what they are doing, they are simply doing what they were told to do any never try to drive the overall growth of the company

I think this reflect to my cons of working at Microsoft, I don't think everyone is so bright as you think and a lot of people are simply sitting on their ass and collecting salary. I think a business person needs to know a bit more about the technical side, as same as the enginneering team may want to know a bit more on the business side.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good environment but politics ruining honest rewards and promotion

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Results-oriented culture, plenty of resources to get things done, people are helpful. Reasonable focus on learning and employee development. Generally get the right computer equipment to be productive.

Cons

Keep making the same stupid mistakes as a company, and those who make the mistakes keep getting rewarded and promoted until they really mess things up big. Then they are dismissed only to start the whole cycle over again. This feels like insanity!

Focus on customer satisfaction (quality, key needs met, compelling product updates regularly) and they will happily buy your products. Keep employees happy (work-life balance respected, end death marches, give them honest career feedback and advancement opportunities, reward the people who do good work not the people who create their own crisis then solve it) and they will continue to work hard for you.

Awesome workplace, but a large company

Current Employee - Principal Group Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Group Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

You really can't ask for more, in some sense. If you're a strong engineer with decent soft skills, you'll quickly rise to the right level in the company. Many people don't make it past a certain level because they undervalue (or refuse to value) soft skills -- "if I'm hardcore enough of an engineer, I should be a VP." But if you have solid technical chops and also can work well with others, you'll do well.

The benefits and pay really can't be beat, at least for people with a strong growth potential. However, the pay is predictable and less lottery-like; you should join a startup if you're hoping to make millions regardless of your skill level. At Microsoft, it's way too late to "make millions," but a solid engineer should expect to make very good money.

Cons

It's a big company. One of the largest in software. So it has some traditional big-company drawbacks. Like slow decision-making. Like re-orgs. Like a mixed bag of people in some organizations.

Take a big, big risk. Microsoft is at a "good to great" inflection point. It needs to take on something massively risky. Like what was done with Xbox, which bled money for years but is now a great platform.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft