There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Working at Microsoft gave me a pretty good experience that you could get a chance to work with one of the brightest people.

Cons

Some business owners that I know doesn't know much of what they are doing, they are simply doing what they were told to do any never try to drive the overall growth of the company

I think this reflect to my cons of working at Microsoft, I don't think everyone is so bright as you think and a lot of people are simply sitting on their ass and collecting salary. I think a business person needs to know a bit more about the technical side, as same as the enginneering team may want to know a bit more on the business side.

8385 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Good environment but politics ruining honest rewards and promotion

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Results-oriented culture, plenty of resources to get things done, people are helpful. Reasonable focus on learning and employee development. Generally get the right computer equipment to be productive.

Cons

Keep making the same stupid mistakes as a company, and those who make the mistakes keep getting rewarded and promoted until they really mess things up big. Then they are dismissed only to start the whole cycle over again. This feels like insanity!

Focus on customer satisfaction (quality, key needs met, compelling product updates regularly) and they will happily buy your products. Keep employees happy (work-life balance respected, end death marches, give them honest career feedback and advancement opportunities, reward the people who do good work not the people who create their own crisis then solve it) and they will continue to work hard for you.

No longer a good company to work for after Bill Gates left

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

- mature development and test environment. Follow standard software dev process (e.g. agile)
    - good work environment.
    - stay with cutting edge technologies daily
    - Good medicare benefits.

Cons

- Too many akward mid-level management. They are not productive and simply show up on all kinds of meetings daily.
    - Performance review system is broken. Those hard worker didn't get rewarded and got piss off on their communication skills. It results in many employees leaving the company in the recent years.
    - Overhire in the past 10 years. It started to lay-off in year 2009 and expects to have more manage out in the coming future.

It is true that MS has too many redudant staffs which make the company inefficient. MS should get rid of 1/2 of the mid-level management and value the individual contributors who are doing the actual work.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft