3 Years and counting...

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits Benefits Benefits Benefits

No co-pay for visists or Rx.

Some really amazing people to work with.

External speakers brought in to speak are really interesting to hear.

Professional Resources are ok.

Cons

Review process seems random at best - you need a strong manager to pull you up, who inturns needs a strong manager to pull them up, and on it goes.

Advice to Management

Fiefdoms don't work. Silos don't work. You are raising sheep to do exactly what you want with out giving people the ability to grow unless it is for some one elses benefit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Avoid like a plague if going to QA dept of Tellme / Microsoft

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft as a whole is very good. Excellent benefits, big company job, lots of resources for training and such. One of the best health benefits I have come across.

Cons

If you are going to Tellme Division of Microsoft, I would recommend avoiding like a plague if you dont belong to the origin of the country where walmart outsources most of its merchandise.

Advice to Management

Diversity and promotion to multiple ethnicity in Tellme QA dept. Even HR acts as nothing is happening.

2. Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The compensation is good for reasonable amounts of work. Maintaining a solid work life balance is easy. When I have a team I click with, coming to work is nice.

Cons

My managers have been decent, but not necessarily great for me. To a large extent, it's about personality, and I'm a bit difficult. My current manager has been great.

There's a bit of a bubble mentality among some employees -- not all -- who don't necessarily see other options available to our customers.

To make an impact, you need to be deep within your role; having a broader perspective isn't necessarily valued.

You need a thick skin to handle the abuse from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Don't buy into your own propaganda that only Microsoft is capable of accomplishing certain goals. That's not the case, and such a worldview is dangerous to the company.