There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

3 Years and counting...

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits Benefits Benefits Benefits

No co-pay for visists or Rx.

Some really amazing people to work with.

External speakers brought in to speak are really interesting to hear.

Professional Resources are ok.

Cons

Review process seems random at best - you need a strong manager to pull you up, who inturns needs a strong manager to pull them up, and on it goes.

Fiefdoms don't work. Silos don't work. You are raising sheep to do exactly what you want with out giving people the ability to grow unless it is for some one elses benefit.

8179 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The compensation is good for reasonable amounts of work. Maintaining a solid work life balance is easy. When I have a team I click with, coming to work is nice.

Cons

My managers have been decent, but not necessarily great for me. To a large extent, it's about personality, and I'm a bit difficult. My current manager has been great.

There's a bit of a bubble mentality among some employees -- not all -- who don't necessarily see other options available to our customers.

To make an impact, you need to be deep within your role; having a broader perspective isn't necessarily valued.

You need a thick skin to handle the abuse from outside the company.

Don't buy into your own propaganda that only Microsoft is capable of accomplishing certain goals. That's not the case, and such a worldview is dangerous to the company.

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Working at Microsoft gave me a pretty good experience that you could get a chance to work with one of the brightest people.

Cons

Some business owners that I know doesn't know much of what they are doing, they are simply doing what they were told to do any never try to drive the overall growth of the company

I think this reflect to my cons of working at Microsoft, I don't think everyone is so bright as you think and a lot of people are simply sitting on their ass and collecting salary. I think a business person needs to know a bit more about the technical side, as same as the enginneering team may want to know a bit more on the business side.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!