There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Worked on high level marketing projects at Xbox

Cons

Almost too much consensus is needed to make any decision. The company is very “middle heavy.”

Allow managers more decision making power

8195 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Reasonable Salary
    Good Health Benefits
    Smart Mentors Available
    Good place to horn Corporate Politics Skills
    Excellent negative case study of how not to run a successful tech company

Cons

Stack Ranking - or how we tries to copy Jack Welch Method but didn't quite understand it.
    Poltiical support required at all levels - promotions, cross team collaborations, product improvements, internal job transfers.
    Corporate Cluelessness - Use Revenue per Employee to measure Research and Development Staff to justify laying off ICs (hint Revenue per Employee only applies to Sales and Marketing Staff under US GAAP)
    Arrogance - Assume ICs have no knowledge of finance and business so Management can do whatever they want and say whatever they want, and even lie to subordinates by claiming to wear the Management Hat.
    Backstabbing Teamwork - or how I won a promotion from my peers by withholding information so they get screwed in Stack Ranking which is applied at the individual team level (hint there's no I in team).
    Management BS - throwing people in "jails", bully subordinates into submission with HR support

Show some true leadership, please. Microsoft isn't in the doghouse because of your engineer ICs. Why is it every important decision has to have political backing?

Microsoft is a horrible place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great health benefit. 401K, stock award, employee stock purchase plan, generous sick leave, seattle is a beautiful city to live.

Cons

you probably hear that Microsoft is full of smart people. That is probably the case 10 years ago or if you are in the right group. I personally work with some of the worse testers / developers. They are just plain stupid. They do not know how to design stuff. They make the wrong decision all the time. System become super complicated. I am very dissatisfied with my work and the people that I work with.

You need to get your act together. With stock price that can only go down, it would be hard to attract top talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!