MBA Internship at Microsoft

Former Employee - Product Management Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Product Management Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

1. People The people at MS are amazing in how much they are willing to help out with anything and everything. They are very smart and very passionate about what they do. It is fun to meet them and work with them. The Kellogg alumni at MS are especially helpful and nice. 2. Networking/Company Culture The company encourages a lot of networking and exchange of information. It allows you to meet people from other groups and learn about their projects. It is nice to know that the work you're doing does not stay in a vacuum and that you are able to leverage other people's knowledge and best practices, so that you're not spinning your wheels. 3. Opportunities It is encouraged to rotate and spend 16 - 18 months with different groups and doing different things, so it gives everyone a great opportunity to network within the company and try different things.

Cons

1. Team Culture My team had an intense culture, due to all being ex-consultants and due to working on the strategy of the flagship product. It was a different culture than I expected and was therefore disappointed. However, I did enjoy working and collaborating with them. It was more of a personality and style issue. So my advice would be to interview the team as they are interviewing you during the second round. 2. Size of the Company The company felt really big and it felt like it could swallow someone who was not doing the "right" things (e.g. networking constantly, changing jobs every 18 months, working intensely on side projects, etc.). I felt like it added an extra step on the responsibilities that came with the job. 3. Seattle Seattle was a fun city to be over the summer. However, I could not see myself living there over the long term. It felt too small and much less urban than I had imagined.

Advice to Management

I wish there was closer monitoring of managers who are already known to be "difficult" when interns are assigned to them. I don't know if this would be through GMs or the HR contacts, but I've found it to be necessary.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It is a not as exciting as I though

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

it provoids very good of benefits and resources,

Cons

it has some problems in the management process

Advice to Management

be clear about what you want to achieve.

Too much expectations, high pressure , low recognition..

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is filled with smart people.

Cons

Too much expectations, high pressure , low recognition..

Advice to Management

For god sake there are things like motivating employees. I am not referreing to perks and trips, but I am talking about talking with employee and encouraging him to do what he is doing best. Recognizing hard work in a simple meeting with upper management is the best reward I can think of.