There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Full of opportunity

Current Employee - Development Lead  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Development Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Opportunity for growth is there if you reach out and grab it -- engage with your colleagues!

Cons

There's always so much to do

Continue to keep your ear to the ground and binoculars to your eyes looking forward. It's difficult for employees many ranks below to stay in sync with the concrete parts of your plans.

8174 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

A company drunk on money that sees us as numbers; but there are pockets with good coworkers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The people are extremely smart, motivated and fun to work with.

Cons

The company is not truly invested in growing employees to be what they want. Rather, they want to grow us to be more efficient where we currently are. For example, there is a long dry gulch between the the SDET and SDE roles. Even though some people have made the transition successfully, there is active discouragement by test leadership when attempting to make this transition.

The company is lost trying to make money and has become scared to do anything innovative.

The coolest products are handcuffed to profitability expectations before the idea is even baked, causing the best ideas to never bubble to the top.

Since there is such a high technical bar, incompetence moves into leaderships to survive, which leads to the laziest workers in the middle.

The review process is a joke, can you say bell curve?

Ballmer is running the company in to the ground. The .com bubble was recovered from, but the MS stock never rebounded and I hold him responsible.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good work environment and great benefits. Work/life balance isn't bad at all although this is something you need to actively manage otherwise work does tend to take over your life.

Cons

Too many meetings. As I mentioned it's somewhat hard to get the work/life balance right at times.

Improve the way knowledge is shared in the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!