Full of opportunity

Current Employee - Development Lead in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Development Lead in Redmond, WA

Pros

Opportunity for growth is there if you reach out and grab it -- engage with your colleagues!

Cons

There's always so much to do

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your ear to the ground and binoculars to your eyes looking forward. It's difficult for employees many ranks below to stay in sync with the concrete parts of your plans.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Nice place to start for a new grad, but beware of vendor lockin.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft offers excellent pay for relatively inexperienced developers. Even as a junior developer I was given responsibility, but I always had a mentor to aid me when I didn't know what to do. I shared an office with another developer, but I can't think of any engineering positions that had cubicles or open floor spots. There are many training sessions occurring and career progression seemed like a very formalised system - it's easy to see what you need to do to advance. Self-evaluation and goal setting is encouraged by managers. These goals and evaluations are used when determining bonuses or career progression.

Cons

Some of the internal systems seemed a little archaic. Internally, open source software, libraries or tools were viewed as hostile or at least with suspicion. I needed legal approval to use jQuery. My development computer was slow, even if I had a pair of nice monitors. 1 GB of RAM was terrible! A few of the employees seemed somewhat uninterested in their work - it was definitely a day job for them. Benefits like leave are tied to how long one has been an employee. Setting up an environment was not documented well in my team, and it was common for existing employees to not be able to help with this.

Advice to Management

Embrace open source, discourage NIH syndrome, get smarter about the web, and do something about the internal lack of sense for design.

2. Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

Pros

Good work environment and great benefits. Work/life balance isn't bad at all although this is something you need to actively manage otherwise work does tend to take over your life.

Cons

Too many meetings. As I mentioned it's somewhat hard to get the work/life balance right at times.

Advice to Management

Improve the way knowledge is shared in the company.