There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

microsoft

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Lots of very smart people to learn from. Vast amount of resources if you are on an approved project. Benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Too political. Not much career opportunity in satellite offices. You are career dead if you work for a team remotely.

Clean out the management pool.

8108 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great experience, lots of politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good compensation, great coworkers, widely used software, free drinks, lots of learning opportunities, challenging problems, good variety of products available

Cons

Incredibly political and cutthroat, dubious review system, sometimes feel like a cog in the system, poor management, somewhat old-fashioned about products and seeing future directions (innovate only when forced to by competitors)

Priority engineering over business, less management turn over and greater accountability, eliminate 10% from review system or significantly change how reviews happen, better metrics for evaluating managers (e.g. have their directs impact the review).

Waiting for the turnaround

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft still hires very smart people and treats its employees amazingly well overall. The opportunity to continually work on the next generation of software still gets me out of bed every morning excited to come into work and solve hard problems. Microsoft is a company passionate about software quality and the user experience.

Cons

The bureaucracy has gotten works over the years as Microsoft transitioned from being on the cutting edge to "playing it safe." I've spent over ten years waiting for the stock to turn around and keep hoping that it will happen some day. The company has done a good job financially but has simply not captured the imagination of customers and investors in the way other tech companies have. Microsoft has become too risk averse.

You will inspire much more loyalty in current employees by financially rewarding those who are doing a great job, and not just at the upper ladder levels. The stock has remained a huge part of overall compensation but it has not delivered and employees are demoralized about that. We're still passionate about the engineering we're doing, but we want to see the financial benefits finally (after ten years of utterly average rewards). We keep waiting for the pay-off that never comes and many are starting to think that other pastures might be greener. It's not like the mass-exodus to Google that we had a few years ago but it's still simmering below the surface. The other major issue is seeing products fail miserably and GMs/PUMs/VPs not held accountable. Reward success and cull the failures. There is also still a lot of "dead wood" that can be cleared from among the ranks. More engineers, less managers, PMs, and testers who aren't actually delivering technical advances.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!