Microsoft Rocks and Rolls

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is a great company for the following reasons: amazing benefits (medical, dental, alternative care, etc.); encouraging diversity (employee action committees for everything from gay & lesbian group to dicussion groups for homeowners); flexible work environment (wired everywhere); and good amenities.

Cons

Microsoft could improve: management training (get rid of the 10%s sooner rather than later); change management (centralize processes for re-orgs); and transparency in promotions, training and opportunities. The variation of these three areas across the company can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

People don't leave Microsoft because the job is bad or tough, they leave Microsoft because of bad managers. Invest in people management as an asset to be managed as closely as P&L.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Working as a Premier Field Engineer is very satisfying.

Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft provides excellent benefits for their employees. Add that to an average salary and their overall compensation is very good. While I'm sure my experience with work/life balance has a lot to do with my specific role, Microsoft has provided the best work/life balance I've had in any job by far. I have access to good hardware and cutting-edge software that help make my day-to-day work more enjoyable.

Cons

There's a stigma about Microsoft as a company, perhaps because of past transgressions, and that's hard to get past when I associate with others or look at comments on articles about Microsoft. I think a lot of those opinions are outdated. I think it's a risk at any big company, though; big companies are big targets, and the bigger they are, the more likely they are to tick someone off somewhere.

Advice to Management

Really identify the markets where Microsoft is strong and go after them. Don't worry so much about being in every market (e.g. phones).

2. Sales

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good salary, great benefits, always promoting career advancement

Cons

high stress, no formal training & no company car

Advice to Management

good job