Management at Microsoft

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft offers their employees excellent benefits and good financial compensation. The campus facilities are generally well-designed and equipped. As in any large corporate, there are many different businesses and teams. This offers more opportunities to change jobs but remain at the same company. Microsoft has wonderful benefits and programs to support local and global nonprofits and communities in need. I am proud of this, as well as the quality work done in Windows 7. Until recently, I have had a great experience as an employee. This is because of the managers I've had until the present one. My prior managers were genuinely interested in their direct reports' careers and facilitated an open honest environment. This led to highly functioning teams and delivery excellence.

Cons

Perhaps with the downturn of the economy, large and small layoffs, the company atmosphere has changed. There used to be a mission and vision that drove each organization to aspire for excellence. Due to major reorgs, the management of my org has dramatically changed. I see no passion in my leadership about their jobs or their people. My present manager is new in role, recently promoted based on politics. Classic corporate shark, has risen to group manager by backstabbing, taking credit for others' work, pretending to care about the company while consistently making choices for personal gain, hiding mistakes by blaming others, and providing special treatment to people willing to collude. Senior management, by not taking corrective action, has in essence supported this behavior because it "gets results". They don't know the "results" are sugar-coated distortions of poor quality, created by coercion and collusion, with lots of bodies along the way. They don't realize the long term detrimental effects to the company as these people rise in management and continue to make decisions in their own best interest. We have lots of consulting vendors who are former Microsoft employees. The majority of them left the company due to the management in their organization; i.e., bad bosses. I may be joining them soon. Anyone considerating a career at Microsoft: make sure you research your potential manager. This person will have a direct impact on your job satisfaction and success.

Advice to Management

People are the company's greatest investment. Stop promoting employees who don't care about the company or the people in it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Used to be a great place to work. Not anymore

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Freedom to work autonomously; a fairly flexible work schedule; pay is comparable to similar companies; we do get to work with products long before they're released

Cons

Microsoft has put shareholders first. The company is too focused on the bottom line and not focused enough on employees and customers.Metrics do not tell the whole story. Management needs to look at the data behind the metrics. There is unfortunately an attitude with executive management that the bottom 10% of employees be cut every year rather than investing in career development for this group.

Advice to Management

Shift your priorities; go back to putting your employees and customers first. Morale in the company is in a downward spiral and has been for several years. Be more open and forthcoming with employees. Don't use cutting benefits, bonuses, merit increases and salaries as the first option for improving the bottom line. Take a closer look at the rampant spending for promoting new and updated products. Don't insist on a 17% uplift in this weak economy.

2. Microsoft needs visionary

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Great comfort in terms of job security, pay. Ability to rotate through many products and disciplines to learn a variety of skills

Cons

Moves very slow, highly political, lacks a CEO with compelling vision for company which exacerbates the former issues

Advice to Management

Install a CEO that is visionary can address major, but potentially disruptive, opportunities in mobile and on the web Reduce the # of headcount & overhead for most projects. Too many people doing what can be done by a smaller team results slows product delivery and makes employees lazy