Microsoft
3.6 of 5 7,019 reviews
www.microsoft.com Redmond, WA 5000+ Employees

Overall, great place to work

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

ProsWorking with smart, focused people. Shipping products that are used by millions. Great location. Highly competent managers. Great benefits. Reasonable compensation. Great resume material.

ConsThe work is fairly intense and the pressure to produce is constant. Most people are more focused on promotion than they are on doing the right thing - this can lead to a degree of dysfunction.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile MSFT strives to be a great employer with an excellent record on workplace equality, one of the HR policies is, IMHO, immoral. Specifically I am speaking of the requirement to award 10% of the workforce an 'unacceptable' performance rating. While I realize that this is straight out of 'Jack Welch', you can't apply a 10% rule across all teams and groups because this company is self-evidently (take a look at your earnings growth) made up of more than 90% of competent and hard working people. No surprise that an unacceptable rating is the career kiss-of-death. The application of such a blanket rule means that every year, some good employees are given an unacceptable rating just to comply with this unacceptable rule.
While MSFT is happy to arbitrarily decimate its workforce, they proudly promote the company as one of the great companies to work for. It would be - if you just removed this rule.

Good company, smart people

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: At microsoft, you have a chance to work with world-class engineers and… Cons: As with any large companies, Microsoft is mature and less agile… Advice to Senior Management: Management has done a great job in company management, they can… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Microsoft

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: Very good employer in terms of overall compensation package and… Cons: Very political and beaucratic. Personal careers and objectives are placed above customer and… Advice to Senior Management: Figure out a way to take the politics out. It's… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.