There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Lots of opportunities if you can tolerate the culture and extreme workloads

Current Employee - Senior Manager - Finance  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Manager - Finance in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft Library - Access to resources - research data, journals, books, studies.
Benefits - Medical, stock
Smart people - there are a lot of really intelligent people with interesting backgrounds & experience
Diversity - people from all over the world

Cons

Limited teamwork - people are rewarded for seeking credit as individuals, not teams. Internal competition is still fostered over teamwork. This creates suboptimal solutons. Even the 'collaboration' award has been awarded to an individual in the past few years.
Self-promotion is critical to getting a good review - self-promotion is a virtue here; being humble wouldn't be a good career strategy.
Culture to work fast and avoid input that might slow you down - even if it is input needed to improve the outcome. It is worse to deliver late than it is to deliver badly or to deliver an ineffective solution.
Lack of effective leaders in many senior positions - success as a technician does not make for success as a leader.

Promote teamwork, reward teamwork and recognize that better work happens in effective teams.
Get rid of the current contingent staff model (both a- and v-) which cannot be achieving it's intended benefits. A different strategy for a contractor model could fix current issues.

8171 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Really boring place. No spirit.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

I have excellent Benefits. I haven't had a single health care expense since starting, no premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. The legal benefit is excellent

Cons

Not much work life balance. It's not a fun place. Everyone is competing against each other. I don't think my accomplishments are always noted.

You haven't done a very good job valuing my accomplishments. I sometimes feel there is some degree of cultural bias when it comes to reviews and promotions. You are constantly playing catch up to competitors. Try to get ahead of the curve.

Microsoft as a company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

- Great environment
    - Benefits
    - People

Cons

- Disconnect between mid and senior management
    - Promotion (on-ground) not transparent
    - Too much power to managers (no check & balances in reality)

- Make sure mid managers do not weild authority
    - Too much of ego
    - Get rid of one-fit-all attitude especially for folks who have been at msft for several years

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!