Microsoft

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Very good employer in terms of overall compensation package and creature comforts (office space, food services, etc.)

Cons

Very political and beaucratic. Personal careers and objectives are placed above customer and business decisions. Re-organizations happen so frequently it is disruptive to get things accomplished.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to take the politics out. It's like working in Washington DC most days.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Nice place to hatch eggs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Salary and Benefits and and and....

Cons

You could get away with murder if you know how to suck up to management. Technical expertise is something they think they know but how far behind the employees really are they would know only if they left the company and joined any other gig or were kicked out

Advice to Management

Fire yourself!!

We all have choices

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Good benefits, strong infrastructure support, still some good people.

Cons

I recently left the company, after over a decade, and wish that I had done it much sooner. There is far too much middle-management, all hoping to get their name in lights, and backstabbing others along the way.

The management structure and the review system both strongly contribute to an inability to innovate, and be truly proud of making a difference in the industry.

Strong benefits aside, there are much, much better places to spend your creative energy, and be equally recompensed. The company used to be known as "MICROSOFT", and now they are simply another company.

Advice to Management

My advice to "management" is to reduce yourself...stop giving yourself top 10% reviews simply because you change project names mid-stream, and find a job that you can truly add value to the industry in.