There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

gr8 place to work but too many poor middle managers without focus

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

great challenging work and high calibre smart co-workers. The work is great but often directionless . Often Big Bets are Off and realignments in organisations cause frustration among the employees who having worked on stuff for some time are not happy to see their work scrapped. All this because of poor communication from the middle managers to the ICs . As an organisation there is an excellent oppurtunity to learn tons of things and i would recommend it to every engineer/ p rogrammer as a very good place to work.Also benefits are good- Medical,Flex Time etc are great if you are having a family.

Cons

old boys network, bureaucratic when changes are concerned

development of talent among the people should take precedence over the jargon and credit snatching you guys do amongst yourselves

8371 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Utility with too much overhead seeks change enablers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

A safe place to work, fair compensation package, great colleagues. MSFT is still the leading software company if we talk about enterprise customers. While others are innovative, they are far far far away from being enterprise ready or deliver world class support as MSFT does. The people who work at MSFT are still amongst the brightest minds in the industry. The amount of training employees get here (20 days a year) is unprecedented and the company is ready and willing to invest in employees. MSFT is investing into R&D a lot more than the competitors and this has to show after time.

Cons

I think MSFT has outgrown the size when the old methods work, we have to renew ourself, get rid of the huge overhead we have (10-15% of the current management could easily be dismissed) and get back to being innovative. MSFT became very similar to a Utility that everybody takes as given, so it is hard to be slim and innovative. Also the shareholders expect money and the rise of MSFT, but this is not necessarily endorsing quality work. We have to compete with companies that are cheaper and worst quality. It seems however that this is the market need, so we have to adhere to it.

Take the opportunity and have a tough look if you really need so many management layers.

A feedback about Microsoft

Current Employee - Support Engineer, GTSC Bangalore in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Support Engineer, GTSC Bangalore in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Culture, Openess, respect, Salary. The company is very open and fair to its employees and also recognized talent and promote it.

Cons

Line managers in India do not exhibit leadership qualities. HR do not coordinate to that great extent. Fix timings for me to work, usually in very odd shift hours

reconize talent, encourage internal transition to different Microsoft locations, give more opportunities for classroom based trainings, encourage more and more travel to different sites for cross learning

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft