Leveling off

Current Employee - Senior Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Work on products that are used by hundreds of millions of people. Enough product diversity that you can work on a wide variety of projects. Still many smart people. Best research lab in the world.

Cons

Political Favors fast follower strategy over innovation Flat stock price for 7 years, no chance of making money at lower levels, which causes focus on promotions rather than focus on custmers and product success. Nepotism at high levels.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. Carly Fiorina was fired from HP for making one big mistake. What is Steve Ballmer still doing there? Operating systems (Vista),entertainment (Zune, Media Center), mobile (WM 6, Kin, tablet?), internet (MSN). Microsoft also has terrible (yet over-powered) people in marketing despite (or because of) Ballmer's background in marketing.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

Many projects and smart people

Cons

Too many managers, too few doers

Advice to Management

Trim the management layer

Really boring place. No spirit.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

I have excellent Benefits. I haven't had a single health care expense since starting, no premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. The legal benefit is excellent

Cons

Not much work life balance. It's not a fun place. Everyone is competing against each other. I don't think my accomplishments are always noted.

Advice to Management

You haven't done a very good job valuing my accomplishments. I sometimes feel there is some degree of cultural bias when it comes to reviews and promotions. You are constantly playing catch up to competitors. Try to get ahead of the curve.