There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

I love working for Microsoft.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Microsoft is an amazing place and provides the opportunity to work with amazing people. The company's strategy for the future is strong and has the cash behind it to fail in some areas and still recover. I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Hard to think of specific cons because I'm in a position I love and have amazing work life balance. One possible con would be that the diversity of the technology areas that Microsoft touches makes it difficult to stay up to date on things so I can keep my customer informed of all that is going on.

Advice to Management

My advice for now is to give as much notice as possible for leadership change. Robbie Bach and Ray Ozzie's departure in the past few months were a shock and it would be good to know as soon as possible about upcoming SLT changes.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Design, Implement, and Review large scale systems.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest people in the world, and if you push yourself, you can work on bleeding edge technology. The stock isn't doing anything, but it's free and after 5 years you have a substantial sum of money each year by stock maturing. Benefits are great.

Cons

Egos, and lots of them. The review pits everyone against each other at the end of the year, and in a lot of cases that means folks stabbing each other in the back. Time expectations are always just stupid and MS really doesn't get the consumer. Lastly the CEO who did a great job while Bill was here, really needs to be replaced.

Advice to Management

Seems to me that MS is just going for the conservative routes. There are a lot of good ideas that get left on the cutting room floor due to politics. The reviews should be an individual analysis but they aren't. Also, since the reviews are competitive, whose the idiot that thought it would be a good idea to get feedback from your peers? It's a competitive system, of course they will dis you!

2. Microsoft pros and cons.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

They get software development and how to treat developers well.

Cons

Overhead can be a problem in meeting time, software process, and security.

Advice to Management

Bring Bill Gates back as CEO.