Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

I love working for Microsoft.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is an amazing place and provides the opportunity to work with amazing people. The company's strategy for the future is strong and has the cash behind it to fail in some areas and still recover. I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Hard to think of specific cons because I'm in a position I love and have amazing work life balance. One possible con would be that the diversity of the technology areas that Microsoft touches makes it difficult to stay up to date on things so I can keep my customer informed of all that is going on.

My advice for now is to give as much notice as possible for leadership change. Robbie Bach and Ray Ozzie's departure in the past few months were a shock and it would be good to know as soon as possible about upcoming SLT changes.

8619 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Design, Implement, and Review large scale systems.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest people in the world, and if you push yourself, you can work on bleeding edge technology. The stock isn't doing anything, but it's free and after 5 years you have a substantial sum of money each year by stock maturing. Benefits are great.

Cons

Egos, and lots of them. The review pits everyone against each other at the end of the year, and in a lot of cases that means folks stabbing each other in the back. Time expectations are always just stupid and MS really doesn't get the consumer. Lastly the CEO who did a great job while Bill was here, really needs to be replaced.

Seems to me that MS is just going for the conservative routes. There are a lot of good ideas that get left on the cutting room floor due to politics. The reviews should be an individual analysis but they aren't. Also, since the reviews are competitive, whose the idiot that thought it would be a good idea to get feedback from your peers? It's a competitive system, of course they will dis you!

A review of a 20 months contract as a v- at microsoft

Current Employee - Systems Engineer - COntractor in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer - COntractor in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

*) Microsoft has a lot of money, so we always got to play with latest technologies.
    *) With a few minor exceptions every one is extremely respectful.
    *) People are very helpful, which provides ample opportunity to learn new skills and expand your knowledge.
    *) Always something to do.
    *) Compensation is very good.
    *) Contractors/Vendors are welcomed to most social events and gatherings.
    *) Although a very fast-paced workplace, you are always allowed to work at your own pace.

Cons

*) Microsoft has a policy of training new managers by placing contractors under them. After all, a full time employee can complain, file an official review, go to HR and so on. As a contractor your recourse is very limited, and you dont get reassigned, you either walk away, or get fired. In my case I had a very inexperienced person with no management experience. That made the work environment very difficult.
    *) As a contractor you are often reminded of your place on the food chain.
    *) Although not personally, but a coworker sitting right next to me received an email from a manager telling him that it wasnt his place to learn new skills as he was hired to perform a specific job and if he has extra time to learn, he should either get back to work, or go home.
    *) My payrate was cut by instituting a 'sitting fee' and i was refused to be allowed to work from home, that meant I lost nearly 4$ per hour. Manager was inflexible, and after 20 months refused to consider consider a salary review.
    *) Higher up the food chain, Microsoft is a very political place, and as a contractor you will sometimes be used as a scapegoat. The typical thing is to publicly send a 'blame' letter, and to almost privately immediately apologize for losing temper via internal chat.

There is a strong culture of 'blue badge' - 'orange badge' at Microsoft, and while it's not as bad as black discrimination, it's a very adverse environment overall. This mentality clearly stems from the upper management of the company and is openly displayed by some people in the workplace. This needs to stop.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft