There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Excellent development experiences

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Excellent benefits
Great work life balance (depending on team)
Incredibly smart people to work with

Cons

Lot of firedrills
Lack of communication on deliverables
Extremely competitive amongst peers

Get rid of the performance review system, allow lower level employees to advance quicker, more mid level jobs needed

8048 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Has been alright, lesser and lesser empowerment to developers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Large diversity of projects, lots fo smart people, impactful project, stable work place, lots of existing code, lots of brain knowledge

Cons

Too many re orgs, lots and lots of process, lesser and lesser small teams, too little risk taken, no visionary leaders anymore.

Empower people more. Take bold risks which do not involve having large number of people, but have small number of very good people working on hard problems. Shoot for the moon again

Microsoft let me down

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager III  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Program Manager III in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The company is a good place to work if you are just seeking a financially secure environment and are not concerned about advancement. For eample, the benefits poackage is generous.

Cons

In my ten plus years I had many, many managers, but only one manager that I would recommend to others. Management was more interested in arbitrary deadlines to impress their bosses than in delivering quality products in a realistic timeline. Worklife balance is a management mantra that never makes it into practice. My colleagues and I regularly worked long hours that crept into the weekends and negatively impacted family life. While there are training opportunities, I was too overworked to take advantage of most. Salary growth has not even keep pace with the cost of living, let alone your performance. I have chosen to seek emplyment elsewhere. It is sad, given that I had so much faith in the company. I feel let down.

Invest in training people managers to grow their people. While I still have some faith in upper management, I have little faith in lower and middle management. This perspective comes from 10+ years at Microsoft.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!