There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Enriching by observing what to do and what not to do

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Work with bright pPeople
Technology availability
Benefits

Cons

Too political
Some higher managers not properly qualified

Stop looking after their own careers and more about their people and projects

8371 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

It's either heaven or hell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

There are some great people there, if you're lucky enough to get a good team. The benefits (up till now) have been top of the chart. There is opportunity for growth, if you have a manager who believes in you.

Cons

It's become extremely political. One bad manager can ruin your career. Senior management focuses too much on competing with Apple and Google, instead of making a better product. The review system is hell. Managers are forced to put someone in the bottom 10% "underperformed," even if they have done an adequate job. Once you get that 10%, you're basically fired. If I'd been told about this review system, I would never have gone to work as an FTE there.

Get rid of the current review system; encourage teamwork instead of individual performance; make reporting structure to the person you support, not a middle manager or executive assistant who is not part of your daily work life.

Stable employer if you only want a Job

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Hands on latest software technologies

Cons

Very few opportunites for a progressive career outside of corporate location in Redmond. Excessive levels of management that are out of touch with the actual business. Reviews are mostly based on subjectivity and not objective metrics.

Understand your employees are no different that the company. We want to advance our opportunities and increase our revenue as well. When the company is able to do that the employees should realize similar results. Employee compensation expecations can no longer be met with increasing stock prices since for 10 years the stock has only traded sideways.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft