Microsoft
3.6 of 5 7,016 reviews
www.microsoft.com Redmond, WA 5000+ Employees

Good, bad and ugly - it is all here!

Technical Accounts Manager (Former Employee)
Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros1. It is an empowering organisation to work for where you are not 'managed' and you can choose your professional growth path - including training courses.

2. Knowledge is shared very openly and can flood you, there is a wealth of information available at hand and thrown your way constantly.

3. The fact that you work for Microsoft opens all kinds of doors when you work there, with clients etc and when you leave, the fact that you worked for Microsoft also opens a lot of doors!

Cons1. The company still doesn't have a clue about some basics - one, that size counts when you are selling something as you can jostle competitors out of the way, but when it comes to delivering, that same size and global way of delivering does not work. I had so many complaints about service being provided to my customers from offshore locations in Eastern Europe (strangely not so many from India).

2. The company is seen to be aggressive due to its sales guys who are for the most part (more than half) pushy and wining-dining kind of guys with not a clue about technology or delivery.

3. The salary Microsoft offers has got to be one of the lowest in its field and there is a huge gap when your grade gets in the 60's. Also the sales guys get immense commission and ride on the techies and service management people who don't (see above).

4. The employees from before 2000 who had proper stock options work and settle in the way millionaires do, they don't push themselves in their jobs, whereas the ones who came in afterwards slog and slog hard. It really is two worlds there. Stock options are as good as worthless in today's scenarios.

5. There is direction from the US but it doesn't apply to UK as much as the market and customer mentality is different - this is not recognised.

6. Everything is driven by the need to shift more software.

7. There is no direct management (it is a good and bad reason, see above) so for anyone who has worked anywhere else in their working life, it comes as a shock - you are to get on as if you were alone on an island.

8. The most coveted skilled people leave Microsoft and go to their clients as they pay more (who doesn't?) - this includes Microsoft technologies like Sharepoint and Biztalk - extremely frustrating when you are trying to deliver support to customers!

9. Bill Gates had come once in the last 8-10 years that my colleague had worked for Microsoft to address Microsoft UK - that kind of distance is very off-putting. It isn't difficult to rally employees if they feel closer to the structure at the top.

Advice to Senior Management1. Stop kowtowing to US Management, develop regional strategies and culture.
2. Give proper industry salaries and benefits, including stocks to employees - the name Microsoft is now not as big as it was before to attract the best talent.
3. Get the cowboys out of sales and get some proper talent in which is not just incentivised on shifting boxes and software.
4. Sell globally (to global clients) but deliver locally!
5. Develop closeness with the top management by getting Steve Ballmer (too late for Mr Gates) to address all employees once a year or even once in two years!

Utility with too much overhead seeks change enablers

Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: A safe place to work, fair compensation package, great colleagues. MSFT is still the leading software company if we talk about enterprise customers. While others… Cons: I think MSFT has outgrown the size when the old methods work, we have to renew ourself, get rid of the huge overhead we have… Advice to Senior Management: Take the opportunity and have a tough look if you… More

gr8 place to work but too many poor middle managers without focus

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: great challenging work and high calibre smart co-workers. The work is great but often directionless . Often Big Bets are Off and realignments in organisations… Cons: old boys network, bureaucratic when changes are concerned Advice to Senior Management: development of talent among the people should take precedence over… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.