I love my job

Current Employee - Pct in Middletown, CT
Current Employee - Pct in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Middlesex Hospital

Pros

My unit has great leadership and we work as a team. We are a family within a family

Cons

We dont have the best parking,after construction of the new garage the parking will improve

Advice to Management

Dont change anything, Keep up the good work, we love you.I never mind getting up in the morning

reviews filtered by

One of the most reputable paramedic programs in the state.

Former Employee - Paramedic in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Middletown, CT

I worked at Middlesex Hospital

Pros

The Middlesex Hospital Paramedics have more autonomy then any other paramedic position. No other paramedic employers have the shift differentials Middlesex offers. It is a high call volume environment, sometimes with long transport times, ideal to get excellent patient care experience. They only respond to 911 calls. Because it is a small group, they have better quality control and therefore, have more liberal protocols with virtually everything on standing order, including RSI. It also means they can be selective in who they hire. The group are highly skilled professionals. Current medical control is top notch.

Cons

Not really a con but often people don't expect the other responsibilities that come with the job. The department is very self sufficient. On of the challenges people often find is the logistics of the system, deciding on which hospital to transport to and how it will affect the system.

Advice to Management

No critique on the EMS manager. The upper management should take advantage of a marketable product. It is one of the most reputable paramedic programs in the state. They should advertise that and keep in mind that they do bring a lot of revenue to the hospital. The new hires in the ER, including the docs should do ride alongs with the medics so they can see what it is like. It would creating a better understanding when one of the medics calls med control.

2. Honestly, a very nice place to work as a Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Middletown, CT

I worked at Middlesex Hospital

Pros

Management and staff have very high standards. Patient assignments are generally based on acuity. Med/surg and similar units have a maximum of 1:5 ratio. Great continuing education opportunities. This is a Magnet Hospital so attaining your BSN is promoted (if not required of new hires because it definitely is of new grads who are hired into their graduate nurse internship program). Specialty certification is also strongly supported. In general the staff are very professional and caring. 8 hour shifts are readily available in most areas

Cons

Units vary. The medical unit tends to be a dumping ground but telemetry, oncology and surgery are well managed and have very high levels of nursing satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Put a good acuity scale to work and make sure that all units have access to the same equipment. Make the campus totally nonsmoking to cut down on employee smoking which interferes with work flow!