Milestone Internet Marketing

www.milestoneinternet.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing

A company with squandered potential... A job without reward or respect

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly usable SEO strategies, Many hard-working coworkers, Connections within the SEM industry

I was holding off on posting a review, but noticed some inaccurate and fake reviews, so I feel I have to share my experience (yes, the three reviews – left on 10/9/12, 10/10/12 and 10/12/12 - are written by the company to apparently boost the very low score on Glassdoor). The person who added them is just doing their job, but I need to call that out right-off-the-bat.

Milestone is a mixed bag in the truest sense of the word. You will learn a lot, and all of it very quickly. There IS room to move up in the company, if you are innovative. And you CAN really build your professional credentials in a hurry. Unfortunately, I would have to say the cons outweigh the pros... There is too much to handle for essentially all types of employees at Milestone, and management seems to be oblivious and/or unconcerned of the effects of this on the company’s long-term vision. More recently (in 2012), a slew of customer cancellations resulted in additional training, and the creation of “functional” teams, all of which did not address the most obvious and guilty culprit – absurdly high employee turnover. For reference, a “senior” account manager at Milestone is someone there for 1 to 2 years (which sadly, only is about 20% of the employees - by the way). Departing customers even cited having too many AM transfer as the main reason for cancelling, but management refused to believe it.

Cons

Very very VERY poor management, ZERO concern for employees life-work balance, abysmally Low company morale

The truth of the matter is, management and the owners do not know how to manage employees. They have a good product, they really do. But they cannot keep loyal employees and the result is a poorly-executed product offering. On the topic of employees at Milestone, when there are routinely back-door conversations with the topic being the lack of respect and frustration with management, you know there is a problem (and despite what the reply to this may say, its AT LEAST 8 out of 10 employees openly displaying this sentiment). I even saw two different coworkers, on two SEPARATE occasions, crying because of being over-loaded with work. No one should be driven to that point in any work environment, especially considering that the average monthly pay for account managers (in 2012) is appx 35k to 45k, and the average hours worked each week is appx 60 to 80… you do the math on how competitive the truly is. Either the upper management is oblivious to the workload they are assigning, or are willingly pushing their employees to the breaking point. I'm not sure which of those is worse... There have been situations, too, where employees were not paid their contractual bonuses (MBO, quarterlies, etc) in a timely manner and had to contact their team leads and accounting in order to eventually get paid. Some of my co-workers (more than one, by the way) had to wait over two months to get their bonus paid out (one of them only partially, btw)... What if they said nothing? Would they have not been paid?! This happened to me too, but it was only delayed a month (good by comparison, I guess).

The worst aspect of Milestone (in my opinion) is the management... Micro-managing abounds for Account Managers, teetering on paranoia. Certain high-level managers spend more time in meetings looking around at what employees are doing, then actually listening and contributing to “company meetings.” This not only comes over as demonstrating a unnecessarily high level of mistrust of employees, but also results in upper-management continually asking the same questions and requests that are covered in the aforementioned company-wide meetings over and over again. A co-worker found a blog post on that I think really nails the problem that emanates from the top of the company (http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/2855-why-we-hate-working-indian.html) - Feel free to read it, as I found most of it to be quite true. Now, to be fair, not all “mid to upper” management is bad there - This really only pertains to 2 or 3 individuals. Unfortunately, those individuals are the ones who set the overall strategic vision for the company, and therefore result in a border-line dysfunctional company. Those same 2 to 3 individuals always seemed to focus on the negative when doing reviews or discussing tasks, instead of lifting up employees with the many positive things they are doing. In summary, I began my journey at Milestone as an eager and "gung-ho" employee, willing to go the extra mile for the company's success. Sadly, for reasons mentioned above, my loyalty to the company corroded over time and I ended my tenure as someone who was just working for a paycheck - not for company.

BUT, with all that being said, this is a good place to start if you are inexperienced and need to build your resume... Myself, and nearly everyone I worked with that moved on from Milestone has gone on to do great things with great bay area companies. I only advise Milestone to you if you have limited SEO experience, need a job, and are having trouble getting other interviews for entry-level positions.

Advice to Management

I won't bother writing more, as I'm sure none of the concerns raised by this, and past, reviews would be implemented anyways...

PS - I always found it funny that an internet marketing company had so much trouble with its own organic results (since when you search "Milestone Internet Marketing" the 4th or 5th organic result is Glassdoor, which makes the company look bad)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts on Friday mornings. The Christmas party was nice. Other than that.... what a disaster.

Cons

Oh, wow, where to start? Most reviews here have already covered it. When I was hired, I was promised health care from day 1. What a farce as it does take time to set up. Still, it was fairly quick (I waited a month -- most wait 3 or more months), but my DOB was messed up and that caused headaches from the start! I was one of the lucky few to get fired from this place (really a blessing in disguise, though it was mighty embarrassing at the time), but wow... not even when it was time for my W4 to arrive did Milestone get that right! I had moved during my short stint and had provided my change of address, but wow... even that didn't register right. I think it's probably due to the fact that most people are running around there like chickens with their heads cut off.... too much to do to really focus on any task at hand. Yes, the attitude here among most workers is incredibly negative and you do feel a sense of gloom and doom the minute you walk in the door.

Training? Maybe some account managers got training, but I never did and therefore... I was let go. It was crazy as I really wanted to learn the business, but no one had the bandwidth to show me things and I was "senior level" and therefore expected to read minds and just grasp things at a moment's notice. Give me a break! In actuality... working at Milestone gave me the nudge I needed to leave the Bay area and get a job with saner working hours and a lower cost of living. I feel for all the folks still there.

Is the turnover as bad as people say it is? You better believe it. In my 6 weeks there, I saw 2-3 people leave per week!!!!

Advice to Management

Pay people Bay area salaries! Don't expect people to work 70 hour weeks for crappy pay and still have a go-getter and positive attitude.

I'm doing well for myself

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

I have a lot to be thankful for. The company has taught me a whole lot about SEO, social, PPC, local, organic, and everything else in between. There’s a lot of opportunity for growth. Now that I’ve moved up from account management to management, everything from my MBA makes sense. (I knew that second degree would be worth it!)

To clarify, many reviewers highlight the work overload. To some, it’s true. But to others, it’s totally manageable. If you look at the bigger picture, the world of SEO moves fast. The small business world (especially that in Silicon Valley) also moves fast. Milestone being one of the more successful ones is an anomaly given the average life span of most start ups. Understand that you’re entering a world of things moving fast. So duh, there will be a lot of stuff to do. Now, successful account managers take on the challenges, learn, grow, and manage themselves well. (That amount of work doesn’t seem so big anymore, and the account managers become experts in their own rights.) Not successful ones burnout, leave, and resort to venting on Glassdoor. Not to say that the latter are incapable people at heart; they could have very well worked hard but under an ineffective manager. However, many of the successful employees, like myself, have since moved up into management. The ineffective managers were replaced with ones who know very well what it’s like to be on the front line. That has fostered a higher degree of skill, support, guidance, and mentorship.

With that said, a growing company will always have growing pains. There will be reports, meetings, emails, phone calls, ups and downs. The most successful account managers are the ones who don’t sweat the small things and continue to develop themselves well after the 3-month introductory period. I advise: just take the coaching, relax, and keep evolving. Account managers are given the tools and training to be their own successes. Sky’s the limit from that point. And from my own experience, the rewards are very good and lucrative.

Cons

Not so much nowadays but the recruitment process was lacking for a bit. I think in the past, we’ve hired people way too early in their careers. The most successful account managers tend to have a few years of work experience under their belts. They understand both the small business / start up environment, and their own professional goals and work ethic. They also come in knowing aspects of related industries so not everything is totally new and daunting. The personalities that work out the best are entrepreneurial in nature; they can see the benefit of investing time instead of seeking immediate gratification by means of entitlement.

PS. If you’re reading this, and considering applying, do take any review with a grain of salt. Glassdoor is like any other review website. The most spiteful reviewers will be the loudest. The most complimentary reviewers may not be posting at all (mostly because they have nothing to vent about). It’s almost like you finding a restaurant on Yelp that had 3 stars. You're hesitant but you decide to try it anyway. And to your surprise, your experience isn't so bad. In fact, it may have actually been good. Then you think, “Wait a minute. All the reviews said it was supposed to suck.” ... well, my friend, just because the bad reviews are loud doesn’t make them accurate.