Milestone Internet Marketing

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts on Friday mornings. The Christmas party was nice. Other than that.... what a disaster.

Cons

Oh, wow, where to start? Most reviews here have already covered it. When I was hired, I was promised health care from day 1. What a farce as it does take time to set up. Still, it was fairly quick (I waited a month -- most wait 3 or more months), but my DOB was messed up and that caused headaches from the start! I was one of the lucky few to get fired from this place (really a blessing in disguise, though it was mighty embarrassing at the time), but wow... not even when it was time for my W4 to arrive did Milestone get that right! I had moved during my short stint and had provided my change of address, but wow... even that didn't register right. I think it's probably due to the fact that most people are running around there like chickens with their heads cut off.... too much to do to really focus on any task at hand. Yes, the attitude here among most workers is incredibly negative and you do feel a sense of gloom and doom the minute you walk in the door.

Training? Maybe some account managers got training, but I never did and therefore... I was let go. It was crazy as I really wanted to learn the business, but no one had the bandwidth to show me things and I was "senior level" and therefore expected to read minds and just grasp things at a moment's notice. Give me a break! In actuality... working at Milestone gave me the nudge I needed to leave the Bay area and get a job with saner working hours and a lower cost of living. I feel for all the folks still there.

Is the turnover as bad as people say it is? You better believe it. In my 6 weeks there, I saw 2-3 people leave per week!!!!

Pay people Bay area salaries! Don't expect people to work 70 hour weeks for crappy pay and still have a go-getter and positive attitude.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing (View Most Recent)

I'm doing well for myself

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

I have a lot to be thankful for. The company has taught me a whole lot about SEO, social, PPC, local, organic, and everything else in between. There’s a lot of opportunity for growth. Now that I’ve moved up from account management to management, everything from my MBA makes sense. (I knew that second degree would be worth it!)

To clarify, many reviewers highlight the work overload. To some, it’s true. But to others, it’s totally manageable. If you look at the bigger picture, the world of SEO moves fast. The small business world (especially that in Silicon Valley) also moves fast. Milestone being one of the more successful ones is an anomaly given the average life span of most start ups. Understand that you’re entering a world of things moving fast. So duh, there will be a lot of stuff to do. Now, successful account managers take on the challenges, learn, grow, and manage themselves well. (That amount of work doesn’t seem so big anymore, and the account managers become experts in their own rights.) Not successful ones burnout, leave, and resort to venting on Glassdoor. Not to say that the latter are incapable people at heart; they could have very well worked hard but under an ineffective manager. However, many of the successful employees, like myself, have since moved up into management. The ineffective managers were replaced with ones who know very well what it’s like to be on the front line. That has fostered a higher degree of skill, support, guidance, and mentorship.

With that said, a growing company will always have growing pains. There will be reports, meetings, emails, phone calls, ups and downs. The most successful account managers are the ones who don’t sweat the small things and continue to develop themselves well after the 3-month introductory period. I advise: just take the coaching, relax, and keep evolving. Account managers are given the tools and training to be their own successes. Sky’s the limit from that point. And from my own experience, the rewards are very good and lucrative.

Cons

Not so much nowadays but the recruitment process was lacking for a bit. I think in the past, we’ve hired people way too early in their careers. The most successful account managers tend to have a few years of work experience under their belts. They understand both the small business / start up environment, and their own professional goals and work ethic. They also come in knowing aspects of related industries so not everything is totally new and daunting. The personalities that work out the best are entrepreneurial in nature; they can see the benefit of investing time instead of seeking immediate gratification by means of entitlement.

PS. If you’re reading this, and considering applying, do take any review with a grain of salt. Glassdoor is like any other review website. The most spiteful reviewers will be the loudest. The most complimentary reviewers may not be posting at all (mostly because they have nothing to vent about). It’s almost like you finding a restaurant on Yelp that had 3 stars. You're hesitant but you decide to try it anyway. And to your surprise, your experience isn't so bad. In fact, it may have actually been good. Then you think, “Wait a minute. All the reviews said it was supposed to suck.” ... well, my friend, just because the bad reviews are loud doesn’t make them accurate.

MOST Unprofessional and Reward-less Job - TOXIC Workplace!!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- SEO knowledge buy you can learn that anywhere. The toxic environment is not worth the knowledge you gain

Cons

VERY poor management by President that trickles down to mid-level management, ZERO concern for employees life-work balance or work load, a lot of politics, playing games, very low company morale and very high employee turnover. Work load is just insane not normal - easily plan to put in 70+ hours per week without any acknowledgment or compensation to match it. Be prepared to be humiliated, insulted for small things in front of everyone and being called names.

Stop monitoring glassdoor reviews everyday and adding fake ones with 4 or 5 stars instead wake up and fix the issues - you already know what they are! If you can't manage it, then own it and get some outside help

There are newer employer reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing