Milestone Internet Marketing

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts on Friday mornings. The Christmas party was nice. Other than that.... what a disaster.

Cons

Oh, wow, where to start? Most reviews here have already covered it. When I was hired, I was promised health care from day 1. What a farce as it does take time to set up. Still, it was fairly quick (I waited a month -- most wait 3 or more months), but my DOB was messed up and that caused headaches from the start! I was one of the lucky few to get fired from this place (really a blessing in disguise, though it was mighty embarrassing at the time), but wow... not even when it was time for my W4 to arrive did Milestone get that right! I had moved during my short stint and had provided my change of address, but wow... even that didn't register right. I think it's probably due to the fact that most people are running around there like chickens with their heads cut off.... too much to do to really focus on any task at hand. Yes, the attitude here among most workers is incredibly negative and you do feel a sense of gloom and doom the minute you walk in the door.

Training? Maybe some account managers got training, but I never did and therefore... I was let go. It was crazy as I really wanted to learn the business, but no one had the bandwidth to show me things and I was "senior level" and therefore expected to read minds and just grasp things at a moment's notice. Give me a break! In actuality... working at Milestone gave me the nudge I needed to leave the Bay area and get a job with saner working hours and a lower cost of living. I feel for all the folks still there.

Is the turnover as bad as people say it is? You better believe it. In my 6 weeks there, I saw 2-3 people leave per week!!!!

Pay people Bay area salaries! Don't expect people to work 70 hour weeks for crappy pay and still have a go-getter and positive attitude.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing (View Most Recent)

MOST Unprofessional and Reward-less Job - TOXIC Workplace!!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

- SEO knowledge buy you can learn that anywhere. The toxic environment is not worth the knowledge you gain

Cons

VERY poor management by President that trickles down to mid-level management, ZERO concern for employees life-work balance or work load, a lot of politics, playing games, very low company morale and very high employee turnover. Work load is just insane not normal - easily plan to put in 70+ hours per week without any acknowledgment or compensation to match it. Be prepared to be humiliated, insulted for small things in front of everyone and being called names.

Stop monitoring glassdoor reviews everyday and adding fake ones with 4 or 5 stars instead wake up and fix the issues - you already know what they are! If you can't manage it, then own it and get some outside help

A company with squandered potential... A job without reward or respect

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Truly usable SEO strategies, Many hard-working coworkers, Connections within the SEM industry

I was holding off on posting a review, but noticed some inaccurate and fake reviews, so I feel I have to share my experience (yes, the three reviews – left on 10/9/12, 10/10/12 and 10/12/12 - are written by the company to apparently boost the very low score on Glassdoor). The person who added them is just doing their job, but I need to call that out right-off-the-bat.

Milestone is a mixed bag in the truest sense of the word. You will learn a lot, and all of it very quickly. There IS room to move up in the company, if you are innovative. And you CAN really build your professional credentials in a hurry. Unfortunately, I would have to say the cons outweigh the pros... There is too much to handle for essentially all types of employees at Milestone, and management seems to be oblivious and/or unconcerned of the effects of this on the company’s long-term vision. More recently (in 2012), a slew of customer cancellations resulted in additional training, and the creation of “functional” teams, all of which did not address the most obvious and guilty culprit – absurdly high employee turnover. For reference, a “senior” account manager at Milestone is someone there for 1 to 2 years (which sadly, only is about 20% of the employees - by the way). Departing customers even cited having too many AM transfer as the main reason for cancelling, but management refused to believe it.

Cons

Very very VERY poor management, ZERO concern for employees life-work balance, abysmally Low company morale

The truth of the matter is, management and the owners do not know how to manage employees. They have a good product, they really do. But they cannot keep loyal employees and the result is a poorly-executed product offering. On the topic of employees at Milestone, when there are routinely back-door conversations with the topic being the lack of respect and frustration with management, you know there is a problem (and despite what the reply to this may say, its AT LEAST 8 out of 10 employees openly displaying this sentiment). I even saw two different coworkers, on two SEPARATE occasions, crying because of being over-loaded with work. No one should be driven to that point in any work environment, especially considering that the average monthly pay for account managers (in 2012) is appx 35k to 45k, and the average hours worked each week is appx 60 to 80… you do the math on how competitive the truly is. Either the upper management is oblivious to the workload they are assigning, or are willingly pushing their employees to the breaking point. I'm not sure which of those is worse... There have been situations, too, where employees were not paid their contractual bonuses (MBO, quarterlies, etc) in a timely manner and had to contact their team leads and accounting in order to eventually get paid. Some of my co-workers (more than one, by the way) had to wait over two months to get their bonus paid out (one of them only partially, btw)... What if they said nothing? Would they have not been paid?! This happened to me too, but it was only delayed a month (good by comparison, I guess).

The worst aspect of Milestone (in my opinion) is the management... Micro-managing abounds for Account Managers, teetering on paranoia. Certain high-level managers spend more time in meetings looking around at what employees are doing, then actually listening and contributing to “company meetings.” This not only comes over as demonstrating a unnecessarily high level of mistrust of employees, but also results in upper-management continually asking the same questions and requests that are covered in the aforementioned company-wide meetings over and over again. A co-worker found a blog post on that I think really nails the problem that emanates from the top of the company (http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/2855-why-we-hate-working-indian.html) - Feel free to read it, as I found most of it to be quite true. Now, to be fair, not all “mid to upper” management is bad there - This really only pertains to 2 or 3 individuals. Unfortunately, those individuals are the ones who set the overall strategic vision for the company, and therefore result in a border-line dysfunctional company. Those same 2 to 3 individuals always seemed to focus on the negative when doing reviews or discussing tasks, instead of lifting up employees with the many positive things they are doing. In summary, I began my journey at Milestone as an eager and "gung-ho" employee, willing to go the extra mile for the company's success. Sadly, for reasons mentioned above, my loyalty to the company corroded over time and I ended my tenure as someone who was just working for a paycheck - not for company.

BUT, with all that being said, this is a good place to start if you are inexperienced and need to build your resume... Myself, and nearly everyone I worked with that moved on from Milestone has gone on to do great things with great bay area companies. I only advise Milestone to you if you have limited SEO experience, need a job, and are having trouble getting other interviews for entry-level positions.

I won't bother writing more, as I'm sure none of the concerns raised by this, and past, reviews would be implemented anyways...

PS - I always found it funny that an internet marketing company had so much trouble with its own organic results (since when you search "Milestone Internet Marketing" the 4th or 5th organic result is Glassdoor, which makes the company look bad)

There are newer employer reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing

Worked for Milestone Internet Marketing? Contribute to the Community!