Millennial Media

www.millennialmedia.com
  www.millennialmedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

The company is what you make of it (in a good way)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

In a very fast-moving work environment, there are countless opportunities to grow and to find new ways to get involved and grow your skill set. Here, the main focus seems to be on how to make the company better, and make yourself better in the process. It's a fun place to work and really provides opportunities for me that I've never had before. I've never felt so in control of what I can accomplish.

Everyone seems to be very willing to cooperate with one another, and it's always fun to tackle a problem head on with so many intelligent and interesting people. There really seems to be a good cross-section of people here from a lot of different backgrounds and with a lot of different mindsets. It's refreshing to be able to hear so many different opinions in a room, and work together to find what will work the best. Nothing seems to be fully out of bounds, and creativity is encouraged.

Reading some of the other reviews, I can understand that the "culture" here may not seem to be for everyone, but I'd encourage anyone to make his or her own decision about that. It's really a different kind of company here, and a place where people aren’t afraid to try new things: It’s a unique experience that's worth a look. I'm really happy I came here, and think others would be as well.

Cons

Cross-company communication is a possible area for improvement, just like at any rapidly-growing company. Great strides are being made now to address this already, so keep up the good work and encourage the team atmosphere that’s really been coming on more recently.

Celebrate the diversity of the opinions of the company more, just like recent changes are doing now. Everything's heading in a great direction. Employees may just need a little push to build more confidence and find their own voice within the company.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Millennial Media (View Most Recent)

Unlimited Growth Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My personal experience is one of unlimited growth potential. Employees that are willing to put in above average effort are very much appreciated and rewarded. Internal promotions are frequent. The benefits are good, free dental, 401k match, plus a lot of other small perks.

Cons

Performance management process could use improvement.

Empower employees to make decisions with minimal approval processes. Encourage growth and offer training to grow within the company.

So much potential but so toxic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

The vast majority of the people at Millennial are excellent, fun, and hard working individuals. The company is well positioned externally in the industry and is growing fast. Location of headquarters is great in the fun neighborhood of Canton in Baltimore.

So much potential for the company to expand it's market share and do something really special.

Cons

It all starts with leadership. There is a culture of not being able to question anything, especially anything from Paul. You have to constantly walk around him (and his people) on egg shells, afraid that the wrong comment or action can lead to forever being in the dog house.

It's hard to get a grip on where the company is going. Lots of talk about high level and aspirational goals, but we might be the worst communicating company on the east coast.

Much talk about culture, but it's non-existant (outside of being afraid to rub Paul or someone else the wrong way). Sure there are the obligatory happy hours, or stocked fridges, but that isn't culture. Culture is something for everyone to align with and believe in. This can't come from HR, has to start with the Exec team.

As others mentioned, benefits are below average. Used to be that you had equity that could be worth something, but a sub $8 stock price and now inflated option prices make this pointless. Not to mention the paltry number of shares most employees received.

Communicate, stop being afraid to say to much incase it impacts what wall street thinks. The employees are starving for direction and inspiration.

Get rid of the secrets, too much behind closed doors. Too much time is spent worrying about what people think. All that does is lead to gossip that I promise you is far worse than the reality. if someone leaves tell people, don't keep it secret for weeks or months.

Stop kicking people when they are down. Comments around Product's failures (not all their fault, Leadership is much to blame) or how Sales should run the organization at the expense of Operations only makes those in the groups on the other end of the comments lose respect and hope. You don't need to bash areas of the company to make others feel empowered, and despite you not saying those things to the other team's faces, they hear about it.

Stop trying to compare yourself with the average company when it comes to benefits, Millennial should be far above average.

Lose the Ego's at the door, stop with the idea that any person or any team is better than any other. Be a TEAM, work together not against each other.

There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

Worked for Millennial Media? Contribute to the Community!