Millennial Media

www.millennialmedia.com
  www.millennialmedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

There is opportunity, just need to have the guts to change

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best part about Millennial was, is, and will be the people. They are the ones that make working there (when I did) enjoyable. There is some fantastic talent among all of the divisions and a lot of great work that gets done.

Location in Canton is great, the industry segment is growing exponentially, and there are opportunities to grow, but it's all second place to the people.

Cons

There is a lack of communicated vision that is present for the organization. Sure, there are strategic values (Be Mobile?!?) and focus projects. But there isn't a clear vision on what we're doing, how we get there, what we need to do to win.

It's all too high level and dumbed down, the team doing the actual work needs to have a more clear picture of what they need to do to win.

There is so much focus on what we have to do to hit this specific month, and do it at all costs... who cares if the guy working 60 hrs per week is already at his limit, do more to hit the number... and then do it again next month. Part of this is just the fact of being a publicly owned company, but when so much is put onto the back of people, eventually those people are going to burn out.

There isn't enough done around retaining the best employees. As other have mentioned there isn't a lot of proactive raises or promotions that are done. You have to ask, and ask, and then ask again (or hope your manager is good and does that for you) and then get disappointed with a low single digit % increase after 18 months of waiting. If you do decide that you are ready to go, they will tend to attempt to retain you but normally at that point the damage is done, you've already decided to leave.

Final con for me is that the company isn't what it was when it was a 60 person start up when I joined... of course it's not we've gone public. But for those tenured employee's that were there early, it's hard to go from a scrappy start up focusing on just surviving and growing to a publicly owned company that has demands to meet from wall street. Maybe this isn't really a con, but for me it was a large part of why I chose to leave the company.

Take the acquisition of Jumptap to bring on senior executive management (maybe from Jumptap) to help manage the company as what it is, a publicly owned corp, not a start up. Don't hide from the fact of that is what Millennial is, stop trying to squeeze into the tiny pants that you wore in high school, they don't fit any more and Millennial isn't a start up. Sure, this will turn some people off, but long term you will be better as a result.

Spend as much time communicating the vision of the company to the internal employees as you do your investors. Remember if you don't sell the team on where we are going, you're not going to get there, and without the team the investors mean nothing.

Develop a better and proactive employee retention approach. Don't make top performance ask for more money, don't make what they are getting paid relative to other companies in the area a factor. That or prepare to lose more and more of the top talent in the area, there are other companies that are growing just as fast, and some of them have an equity upside still.

I think the other reviews (at least the ones that aren't clearly positive reviews from HR after a negative one) hit on other great points, listen to what they say.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Millennial Media (View Most Recent)

There are things you should know before you go.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary was competitive. Also at the end of the year, even regular employees may get a bonus. Job title inflation is common, and you will probably get a better title than at other places of employment, which might help in your career.

Cons

Recruitment at the company is fantastic, albeit underhanded. For one, new employees can expect a fancy title. Job title inflation at Millennial Media is rampant. For a small company, one is shocked to find out how many people have the title of “director” or even “vice president”. Engineers who would be called intermediate or mid-level at most other companies are called Senior Engineers at Millennial Media. And Senior Engineers are called Principal Engineers or even “Director”. Recruitment and the company are fantastic at using flair: Christmas parties, happy hours, ping pong tournaments, etc. And the company management sees itself as “cool”, like a want-to-be Apple. I came previously from a rather “ordinary“ employer, and several in management seem to hold me in contempt for this, even going so far as to say that people’s work-ethic at my former place of employment must have been limited.

Agile development is used, but it was an extreme form of agile development. Every 2 weeks the course could be drastically changed. Several times things I were working on were scrapped because of a changed plan, which really lowers morale, as it’s near the equivalent of burning your work. The emphasis seems to be getting software out quickly as possible, as opposed to doing it correctly. The desire for mass-produced software tended to rear its ugly head in the sense that the software teams always seemed to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, either fixing old bugs or getting that must-have feature by Monday. This meant that overtime was the norm instead of the exception. In addition, the desire to get everything done quickly means that old technology is used instead of taking the time to learn new technology. I was rather surprised to find many of the developer’s skills were rather stale.

Management had a “kiss-up,kick-down” sort of mentality. Self-promotion is imperative. Come to Millennial Media as the quiet introvert who works hard behind the scenes and you will get a rude awakening. The floor layout is an open office, and there are no cubicles or private areas to work. Distractions are frequent, as well as meetings. Moreover, the culture at Millennial Media can be very political, and that can be difficult to adjust to if you’re not used to it. Coming from a group that was highly collaborative with a common goal made it very hard to adjust.

While the salary was good, benefits were limited, and the demand for overtime meant that vacation could not be taken even if it were available.

See "cons".

Not for anyone with innovative ideas, progressive thinking, or anyone who thinks in general.

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll get a paycheck and free coffee.

Cons

Values process over individuals. Resists innovation and progressive thinking. Cannot keep pace with current technological trends. Regards employees as commodities instead of assets.

There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

Worked for Millennial Media? Contribute to the Community!