Millennial Media

Needs to Improve

Current Employee - Developer  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- fast growing industry
  - office is located in a great part of the city
  - most co-workers are intelligent and hard working
  - there are some good leaders here, however the very top of the ladder is negatively impacting their ability to lead

Cons

- stress level is unhealthy
  - executive team does not care to understand day to day efforts of individual contributors
  - the sales team runs the company - tech and other teams are driven by the wishes and desires of sales for better or worse... in the past year + it hasn't worked out well
  - inexplicable leadership decisions
  - poor infrastructure in terms of existing technology
  - inconsistent executive leadership
  - lack of transparency and cohesive communication from the top

You are handing over the keys to the company to employees from another company that was recently acquired. How did the numbers for that company compare to MM? How dependent was that company on one client? Are most of these employees located elsewhere? .... Why would you think this is a good idea? Have more respect for the leaders and employees that got you to where you are.

Create products that work and function as planned. This will keep sales from selling things that don't work (or just making it up as they go).. it will also keep the other teams from having to put out fires with duct tape on an hourly basis.

Try to improve the work life balance. There are people working here that are stressed to the point of it impacting their health on a daily basis. Sometimes it just takes consistent executive leadership and understanding. Also, culture isn't free breakfast... it's much more than that. Figure it out.

Cue the reply to this post from someone at MM within the next 7 days. When you see an obviously pro-MM post after a recent negative one... it wasn't real. FYI.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Millennial Media (View Most Recent)

Staff Accountant

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in, company is growing at a rapid rate, good location, causal dress

Cons

The future is uncertain since this is a start-up company which can be a good and bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

There is opportunity, just need to have the guts to change

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best part about Millennial was, is, and will be the people. They are the ones that make working there (when I did) enjoyable. There is some fantastic talent among all of the divisions and a lot of great work that gets done.

Location in Canton is great, the industry segment is growing exponentially, and there are opportunities to grow, but it's all second place to the people.

Cons

There is a lack of communicated vision that is present for the organization. Sure, there are strategic values (Be Mobile?!?) and focus projects. But there isn't a clear vision on what we're doing, how we get there, what we need to do to win.

It's all too high level and dumbed down, the team doing the actual work needs to have a more clear picture of what they need to do to win.

There is so much focus on what we have to do to hit this specific month, and do it at all costs... who cares if the guy working 60 hrs per week is already at his limit, do more to hit the number... and then do it again next month. Part of this is just the fact of being a publicly owned company, but when so much is put onto the back of people, eventually those people are going to burn out.

There isn't enough done around retaining the best employees. As other have mentioned there isn't a lot of proactive raises or promotions that are done. You have to ask, and ask, and then ask again (or hope your manager is good and does that for you) and then get disappointed with a low single digit % increase after 18 months of waiting. If you do decide that you are ready to go, they will tend to attempt to retain you but normally at that point the damage is done, you've already decided to leave.

Final con for me is that the company isn't what it was when it was a 60 person start up when I joined... of course it's not we've gone public. But for those tenured employee's that were there early, it's hard to go from a scrappy start up focusing on just surviving and growing to a publicly owned company that has demands to meet from wall street. Maybe this isn't really a con, but for me it was a large part of why I chose to leave the company.

Take the acquisition of Jumptap to bring on senior executive management (maybe from Jumptap) to help manage the company as what it is, a publicly owned corp, not a start up. Don't hide from the fact of that is what Millennial is, stop trying to squeeze into the tiny pants that you wore in high school, they don't fit any more and Millennial isn't a start up. Sure, this will turn some people off, but long term you will be better as a result.

Spend as much time communicating the vision of the company to the internal employees as you do your investors. Remember if you don't sell the team on where we are going, you're not going to get there, and without the team the investors mean nothing.

Develop a better and proactive employee retention approach. Don't make top performance ask for more money, don't make what they are getting paid relative to other companies in the area a factor. That or prepare to lose more and more of the top talent in the area, there are other companies that are growing just as fast, and some of them have an equity upside still.

I think the other reviews (at least the ones that aren't clearly positive reviews from HR after a negative one) hit on other great points, listen to what they say.

There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

Worked for Millennial Media? Contribute to the Community!