There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

Cons

An unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

Advice to Management

It just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

reviews filtered by
  1. Excellent Tech Startup...for Baltimore

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with some upward mobility.
    Excellent industry to be in.
    Powerhouse compared to other local companies.

Cons

Disappointing level of tech culture.
    Everyone is satisfied with good enough - very few trying to achieve greatness.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is much to be done. I think if I was an executive, I'd be pretty pleased with everything thus far, but at the same time, the current trajectory does not point toward a Google type success. They'll be a great tech company in Baltimore, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that - it's just not very exciting.

2. Rapid Industry Change

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Experienced employees, average-above average salary, physically clean and healthy office environment. Phenomenal job recruiting talent and reorganizing its structure, but continue to lose value people.

Cons

Publicly traded, Wall Street loathed ad tech vertical that relies on arbitrage revenue model, extremely fast changing and consolidating industry, over diversified, efficiency killing product offering.

Advice to Management

Less focus on management, more on product understanding.