Miller Nash

www.millernash.com
  www.millernash.com
There are newer employer reviews for Miller Nash

Good place for legal training

I worked at Miller Nash

Pros

I was treated very well by Miller Nash. I was given excellent opportunities to grow as a lawyer and to take on cases and issues by myself, even at the start of my career. There are some wonderful people at that firm who made it a great place to work. The billable requirement was manageable.

Cons

I felt a lot of pressure to bring in new business. Some of the senior partners have tremendous egos. Making money drove a lot of the decisions made in that place, but it is a for-profit company, after all. I didn't feel personally connected with many of the attorneys there.

I recommend a little more openness when it comes to discussing firm matters. The associate attorneys want to know how the firm is doing, and what problems it is facing - it's OK to share this information. Also, associates should be educated at an earlier stage in their career about what it is truly like to be a partner.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Miller Nash (View Most Recent)

Prestigious firm with good intentions, but a few bad partners, and a bad work-distribution system

I worked at Miller Nash full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits; opportunity for meaningful work early in career.

Cons

MN overworks and underpays its best associates---especially in litigation. E.g., the associates in less demand get paid the same base salary, but work 1-3 months less per year (in billable hours)---and the bonuses for the overworked do not come close to compensating for these extra hours. Also, some partners are unnecessarily rude and harsh to associates.

Restructure pay or bonus system so that a few attorneys are not working so much more for so very little extra... Have partners police each other's treatment of associates to conform to desired culture.

Most associate attorneys are in fear

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Portland, OR

I worked at Miller Nash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Honestly, other than the prestige of the name of the firm in the Northwest US, I can't think of any.

Cons

No real team work or helpfulness among the associate attorneys. Many partners are overly demanding and don't give clear details of projects. I heard of a few associates before my time that had nervous breakdowns working for one partner in particular who would mumble directions to a huge task and then get very upset when the end product wasn't perfect according to his standards. Also, associate attorneys with years of experience are not even allowed to send out a brief cover letter to a client without having a partner review it first. Very uptight environment - even by law firm standards.

Be kinder to your associates and you will be a better and more productive firm. Also, you should pay associates with similar levels of experience the same rate. I had more experience than the person in the office next to me and was paid $10,000 less per year.

There are newer employer reviews for Miller Nash