Milliman

www.milliman.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Milliman

If you want to develop your own practice, Milliman is the place to be.

Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Milliman

Pros

-- Great benefits and compensation structure ( excellent 401K and profit sharing plan with very good bonus structure for overtime working)
-- Flat organization ( This allows you to directly communicate with your principles and quickly develop big pictures of the business)
-- Promoting entrepreneurship ( You can be a boss with only 2 to 3 people working for you as long as you can bring new ideas and sell it. It is really good for people are looking to work as an independent entity while enjoy the benefits of getting the support from the corporate level.)
-- Competent colleagues ( I enjoyed working with them everyday!)

Cons

-- Long working hours (What can I say.? This is consulting. If you are still an actuary student, be prepared for the tough study schedule.)
-- Not too much formal training for fresh graduates. ( There is one or two communication or technique training sessions, but you need to learn most of the stuffs from working with other people. However, there are plenty web conference opportunities to learn new things in the industry.)

-- More proactive on the marketing

-- Better strategic decisions

86 Other Employee Reviews for Milliman (View Most Recent)

HR Dept. lacking @ Mmn. (Seattle, WA -Ranier Sq.)

Former Employee - Web Analyst Tester in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Web Analyst Tester in Seattle, WA

I worked at Milliman

Pros

Good benefits; FT based on a 37.5 hr week with any add'l hrs being at time and a half.

Cons

No HR department. Only a liaison between workers and principals. If you had an outstanding issue with your immediate boss - tough - it is only handled as he/she sees it. Irrespective of 'normal' HR guidelines.

One personal situation (of many):
    I approached my boss regarding inappropriate comments made to me by a coworker regarding my ethnicity. She brushed me off and told me "If you have a problem with it. Speak to her directly." For which I replied "If I do so, it will not be diplomatic. I'm telling you this b/c you are my boss and I feel that you deserve to know what is going on within your department between your workers."
    She smirked and reiterated her answer.

Get a fully functional HR Dept. where employee grievances may be heard - At least start out by getting an HR department. Period.

Best place I've ever worked, and I've worked at a lot of places.

Current Employee - Practice Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Practice Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Milliman

Pros

It's a very professional atmosphere, and there's real respect for all employees at all levels. The company is owned and managed by the actuaries in the field, doing the work. That means that they know what it takes to get the job done, and provide the tools needed to do the job right. They also don't generally have unrealistic expectations.

I can't speak for all offices of Milliman, but our office is very family oriented. People bring their kids in sometimes, and not only is it ok, but most of us really like having the kids visit. Also, they're very supportive of people dealing with personal or family emergencies.

Cons

It's too far from where I live, but that's my fault for moving to the suburbs.

Provide more training opportunities in subjects that are not specific to company operation (like software training) for the lower level employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Milliman