There are newer employer reviews for Mills College

Excellent beleaguered faculty and staff serving wonderful students

Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Mills College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mills students are wonderful: idealistic, diverse, appreciative, and motivated. The faculty are devoted to the students, and the teaching is generally of high quality. Some professors also have impressive research and publishing records. The commitment to multiculturalism, women's empowerment, and social justice is real, not window dressing.

Cons

While I understand that the administration is constrained by budget concerns -- finally being addressed, rather than covered up, as they were under the previous administration -- they have unnecessarily antagonized faculty by dictating to, rather than working with, us. They also have treated some long-time staff members badly: For example, when they laid off a popular staff member, they made her leave the building immediately, rather than treating her with respect and providing a transition for the students who depended on her and were devastated by her sudden departure.

Other Employee Reviews for Mills College

1. Challenging

I have been working at Mills College full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus. Faculty and staff devoted to women's education, the arts, education, social justice. For a small campus, there are a good number of arts events. Graduates go out with confidence. Location in the Bay Area has many advantages though housing and cost of living are expensive. Many great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year, budget cutting is taking a toll on morale on campus. Much talk of transparency but reality's different. People who have loyalty are being alienated. Not very international-minded. Not very innovative.

Advice to Management

Less talk of transparency and more actual consultations with the community. Small liberal arts colleges are having a hard time, we know this.

2. Positive experience with Mills

I worked at Mills College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked part time at Mills while attending school there. I loved every minute of my lab position. The professors were very kind and helped me whenever I needed it.

Cons

The only problem was that many of the students I was working with were older than me and this caused some tension. We were also required to hold office hours, that none of the students would take advantage of.