There are newer employer reviews for Milwaukee Electric Tool

Good people, poor work environment

Former Employee - Manager  in  Brookfield, WI
Former Employee - Manager in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Company has a good ability to attract strong talent
-Young / fast-paced environment

Cons

-Low compensation
-Long work hours expected, 60+ hours per week regularly
-Minimal benefits
-Fear / Intimidation management techniques
-Upward mobility is not related to performance, purely subjective based on upper management
-Overall a turn-and-burn company

-Increase compensation to meet the market expectations, it is not 2008 where you are in a position of power while hiring.
-Empower your employees to be able to make their own decisions and encourage senior management to stand behind them

Dec 29, 2013Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to use this type of feedback to make improvements to our policies, pay structures and overall culture of the organization.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Milwaukee Electric Tool (View Most Recent)

Unsure of the future of the company

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Been there for decades and have built up a nice vacation package but they implemented vacation caps, punishing all long term employees.

Cons

The allocations for the battery test lab is always up in the air. On one hand the company publically touts themselves as being a world leader in Lithium Ion battery and cell technology but behind closed doors we have to delay critical battery testing several times each week since there is no test lab area dedicated for testing. This is the norm and has been going on for years.

The company does not hesitate to spend large amounts to make a new marketing area or remodel an area as into a showplace to take our distributors around on tours, but when it comes to the core technical areas, testing required for product development you would swear the company is bankrupt. We lost our best battery engineer several years ago in one of the many layoffs / management power struggles and the quality just has never been the same, we have never recovered.

I am sure you got bonuses and respectable raises, across the board when you cut bonuses and gave 1% raises in a record growth sales years it hurt the moral and I believe it will never recover, no matter how many young kids you keep bringing ion to replace the experienced veterans.

Batteries are the future of the company, a fundamental and a critical part of our products and future. Someone needs to man-up and make a serious commitment to the labs and invest in a battery test lab. It is unrealistic to think you can achieve for long the level of growth when a company is run like this from the top.

Please save the money you waste on us with knee-jerk, band-aid fixes for the low moral, such as fishing and kayak trips, and invest in a battery test lab. We would much rather have a safe and productive lab environment, that would eliminate much of the low moral and toxicity that has permeated the labs.

Dec 29, 2013Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I would encourage you to bring some of your ideas for improvement to your manager. We value the ideas and feedback of our employees, especially those that have been ... More

What was once a great place to work has changed - compensation has sunk to an all time low.

Current Employee - Technician  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Technician in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time

Pros

OK Health care and employee discounts on products.

Overall the people I work with are nice.

Cons

It feels that no matter how hard you work, or how much skills you learn, as a technician none will ever get promoted or even acknowledged for their contributions. No one there has ever seen a technician in the engineering group ever get promoted, but HR sends out emails regularly announcing managers constantly getting promoted to some new management position.

It had become very top heavy with management, but suffering badly in the labs and engineering departments as there is not enough workers to get project out by deadlines and at a high level of quality.

Compensation has sunk to an all time low.
    This year the technicians bonuses were zero, and raises were the lowest we have ever seen.
    Everyone was demoralized because the company had their best sales year ever and we all pulled together working hard to beat all records. However, the very core people who contributed to the company's financial success were completely ignored!

A few years ago the company cut out profit sharing, 401K matching, put low limits on tuition - setting it at half of what it actually costs for school and believe it or not, they even took away the food out of our families mouths - they quit the yearly Thanksgiving turkey!!

We recently did get back our 401K matching but nothing else. But we hear about all bonuses, promotions, raises and even the fishing outings and trips they take the managers out on now - to help them bond or something.

To put it in all in perspective: Given the amount of benefits the company took away from us, today even with the company making the highest sales and profits in their entire history, the technicians who are still left in the company make less in compensation today than they got from the company 8 years ago.

That has completely demoralized the workers and left us realizing respect for what we do and contribute is gone.

It is a shame because just think how much more profitable the company would be if they did not treat so many non-management workers as if they are invisible.

Treat all employees as valuable - just because someone is not a manager or does not have an advanced degree does not mean they are also not an important person of the team and provides valuable contributions.

Dec 29, 2013Talent Acquisition Manager

Our people are our number one asset, whether in a management role or individual contributor. We value our people and will use your advice and feedback to continue to improve. Thank you!

There are newer employer reviews for Milwaukee Electric Tool

Worked for Milwaukee Electric Tool? Contribute to the Community!