Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
www.jsonline.com Milwaukee, WI

Trying hard to be relevant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for more than 8 years

ProsSmart people. Creative workplace. Diverse work force. A lot of effort has gone into encouraging use of new technologies and social media. Experience in experimental story forms.

ConsTop-heavy with managers who contribute little and are a drain on expenses as a result of multiple buy-outs/layoffs.
Long hours, little recognition for long-time employees. A hiring manager once remarked loudly: "A good hire stays 2 years; a bad hire stays 10 years." So much for loyalty.
Newsroom culture favors outside candidates over internal candidates, leading to terrible morale. Loyal employees denigrated and pigeon-holed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the courage to face up to who really needs to be cut loose.
Quit favoring outside candidates; give insiders a chance to advance.

Good experience, questionable leadership

Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Experience in dealing with multiple management/operations issues. Great opportunity to assemble a management philosophy… Cons: Leadership provides no support and does little to understand subordinates' jobs or responsibilities. Expectation… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employees more and do not go after them after… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

was good now not so much

I have been working at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Pros: co-workers, sometimes fun trips and perks Cons: media is changing, you can save the paper with the internet. … Advice to Senior Management: you can spin it however you want-- but you need to figure out a new way and its… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Worked for Milwaukee Journal Sentinel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel employees.