There are newer employer reviews for Minacs

Great place to work

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Minacs

Pros

Good compensation. Great benefits (dental, vision, health) opportunity to advance.2 weeks paid training. Opportunity to earn bonuses.Flexible hours

Cons

Upper management can be a little more help to lower management.

301 Other Employee Reviews for Minacs (View Most Recent)

fast-paced and never boring

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Business Analyst  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Writer/Business Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Minacs

Pros

As a technical writer, AB Minacs gives me ample room to transition back and forth from project to project. I am overjoyed that I am never bored with any work and neither am I ever so overloaded that I cannot complete my work, even when there are rush jobs. My management listens well to my concerns about timing and priorities of the projects I am responsible for documenting. The work is varied in both complexity and type and exposes me to a wide variety of teams throughout our office complex.

My boss is one of my top three best bosses I've ever had in my 20+ year career in the technical communications industry. The technical managers with whom I interact on a regular basis for each project respond to my requests for information and help immediately. That's unheard of in my line of work. Each one of them considers me a valuable addition to their team and I treasure their feedback and criticism on my work because of how thorough and insightful it is.

Cons

The technology equipment and software is out-of-date, sometimes frighteningly so. Requests for new versions and upgrades frequently take many months and require multiple escalations before action is taken, if it is even approved. (Though this is common at most companies who staff technical writers.)

There are frequently times when I believe it would be best to say the word "no" to a customer and that word is never spoken. Minacs bends over backwards to serve their customers and it might be better if they resisted a little more to make the offerings stronger. That's purely my opinion, however. Serving the customer is paramount.

Tell the customer no every so often. Or at least maybe. Don't design complexity into a system simply because a customer wants an ad hoc report or doesn't understand the information you're returning to them from their own data. Use me more to help describe it to them. Don't let the engineers and developers write the technical documentation.

Being unemployed is better than having a job at this company.

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Minacs

Pros

There are really some great people that work there. I got along with my team but we all knew how bad it was to be a part of the Minacs company. It was neat working in an office where they handled Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Mazda national accounts but that was it. You got to experience and learn how direct marketing is handled at a corporate level which is good for a learning experience, but I could have gotten more out of a news article about it.

Cons

Management, Management, Management. The Milwaukee office in the Federal Building is disasterous. The way management takes surveys about employees and suggestions, shows them to the entire office, and then nothing ever changes. Every review session I sat in everything was dismal. The pay, the leadership, the technology, finding staples was even difficult. What is worse, is they SHARED this information with all the employees and the next day was as if it never happened. >> I have never been with a company that manages it's office so poorly. There is room for advancement which gives each employee hope of a promotion but it is ALL poltics. You will know what I am talking about if you take a job here. The "Acosta's" of the world really ruin any good experience you thought you might have. No positive attitude can save you. No thinking outside the box will help. As you discuss professional solutions with management about overcoming objections you are more likely to get punished than to receive praise.

Personally, I would fire every team leader and even the head office manager & especially HR. These individuals are in such a closed circle that unless they open their eyes to different experiences with other companies, they will never improve as professional individuals. The office needs new leadership that employees can respect. If you search online what makes a horrible workplace you will find every process that managers here follow. They need new experiences and new management because you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

There are newer employer reviews for Minacs

Worked for Minacs? Contribute to the Community!