Mind Candy

www.mindcandy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mind Candy

Is good, but can you make it better.

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the most talented and creative people are (or were) at Mind Candy .
All friendly people. Free snacks and nice kitchen. Starters lunch. Fun parties. Good IT technology and computer.

Cons

Really bad management.
All great people have left.
Poor decision with new IP.
No career development.
Negative feeling in atmosphere.
No more passion.
No fun.
Feel bad.

Many people are leaving and the reason is obvious for the past year. Very quickly change or Mind Candy success will have been for nothing.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Mind Candy (View Most Recent)

Incredible people, wasted talent

I worked at Mind Candy

Pros

Cool working environment with fun space. Best thing about this company is their ability to attract incredible people.

Cons

Overcome by fear of failure, the entrepreneurial phrase "Fail fast" does not apply here. In the past 2 years Mind Candy have been unable to release one mobile title until recently. Employees are driven by fear of getting the boot. The "magic" that the company once had has been diluted by poor managers who do not believe in or respect the people they have hired on for their expertise. Performance reviews are non-existent even when you ask repeatedly for some standard of "success" or way to be promoted.

Every product has been shelved or delayed numerous times and a constant cycle of starting over with never releasing any titles has the company spinning wheels with very low moral.

Empower and respect the talent you have before they all wise up and go.

Best place I've ever worked...but people need to be realistic

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office is a great place to work and the resources you get to do your job are top notch. Genuinely looked after by all. Great to work with creative & talented people and personally have moved up career wise. Have plenty of opportunity to get involved and influence the company structure & shape.
    I've been exposed to many new & upcoming technologies and had opportunities to develop & apply these in most cases. I don't get micro-managed & get to make my own choices and decisions.
    We have been working hard to improve some issues around people management and focus. Since Jeff Reynar our new CTO has come on board we have made many improvements in Tech culture, career progression and have made big strides into HR & culture projects. Along with some exciting new products going live this year the outlook is great.

Cons

The pace can be crazy but its not a constant work late , high pressure environment some reviewers have made it out to be. There are specific areas that have had tough deadlines, but success doesn't come packaged in a cotton wool coated massage chair and a never ending supply of jelly beans. The place of work is great because you need to go that extra mile.
    Your success is mostly down to you as an individual contributor & as a team member. Some teams have found the pace hard going but some of that is self inflicted...like dropping Agile for Waterfall.....skimping on TDD. Perhaps though sometimes let down by less experienced leads & managers, but the best people overcome this sort of shortcoming. If you have a bad manager well do something about it.
    Your a "Mind candy" or your not, you take the rough with the smooth, you speak your mind but are passionate about what you do, if you genuinely work hard and contribute outstanding work the sky is the limit. But lets be realistic ...this applies to any place of work.

People are motivated in different ways. Try to see work life balance from an individuals perspective and you will get the best out of them.

There are newer employer reviews for Mind Candy