There are newer employer reviews for Ministry of Education Singapore

Job as a Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Singapore (Singapore)
Current Employee - Teacher in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Ministry of Education Singapore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interaction with Teenagers and you are at the fore front to mould your students' character.

Cons

Has to juggle with various aspects of workloads such as Teaching, remedial, CCA, school communities (i.e organizing events), ....etc

Know yourself and see which track in teaching suits you best if you have chosen this as your career.

78 Other Employee Reviews for Ministry of Education Singapore (View Most Recent)

Exploited on salary scale

Former Employee - Art Teacher  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Art Teacher in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Ministry of Education Singapore full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the work, the caliber of students, and the collaborative environment for art teachers. Collaboration between art teachers does not happen in the US. An art teacher in the US is almost always an island. In Singapore, a junior art teacher is trained by senior art teachers. Art teachers share best practices and grow together to a much greater extent than in the US. Also, art teachers are permitted or encouraged to attend cool seminars and events. I liked this. Some may not.

Cons

The ministry exploits foreign teachers. I came in with a masters of Art Ed and a year of experience, which is extremely rare in Singapore. I was put on the salary scale of a C-average Bachelor's Degree holder, and I was denied the opportunity to negotiate my salary. My MOE experience was far better than most American teachers however (except those assigned to Junior College, who were highly paid, often unskilled, and did a few hours of work per week).

Cut out the recruitment programs. You don't need current American college students or fresh grads teaching JC. They bring no value. On the other hand, American educational thought leaders (including those from adjunct professor positions in US and edu tech positions) will make Singapore's art ed program competitive with the world. Recruit them and pay them well. Put them in a position to work with MOE HQ at times. Tap their knowledge and experience.

work as a teacher if u have the passion

Former Employee - General Education Officer
    Former Employee - General Education Officer

I worked at Ministry of Education Singapore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you can have your work-life balance if you are able to prioritize otherwise you'll find yourself working 11 hours in school. if you have passion, patience and like to interact with students, parents and do not mind multi-tasking, you'll fit into the teaching job well.

Cons

MOE HQ works really slow and inefficient. you don't have a choice in the school you are posted to. Teaching well doesn't get you the promotion, you have to spend efforts on organizing big events, announce your achievements in order to get noticed by the HOD and principal and put yourself in better position for promotion.

There are newer employer reviews for Ministry of Education Singapore

Worked for Ministry of Education Singapore? Contribute to the Community!