Minneapolis Community & Technical College

db.mctc.mnscu.edu
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Minneapolis Community & Technical College

Proud of the work done but long term employment at MCTC or MNSCU results in below average compensation

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Proud to be working with the students that might not be college students at all if not for the efforts of the people at MCTC

Cons

Hard to work with a low student graduation/success ratio, low compensation via MN State oversight of wages.

Advice to Management

Increase efforts to keep quality employees who are simply dissatisfied with the below average compensation packages, increase efforts to remove disgruntled employees from the work force.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Big High School

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a very diverse culture. The physical surroundings are pleasant

Cons

The president is more concerned about appearances than quality of education. The nursing program needs much improvement. Administration has adversarial relationship with faculty.

Advice to Management

Listen to the faculty. Make an effort to understand their point of view.

2. Depends on your department

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The college truly serves the most diverse juncture of individuals in this state. It is, for many students, THE bridge to their success. Hearing a student gush about an incredible instructor, experience or opportunity is extremely validating, and has kept me going for years.

Cons

The departments are very siloed. In addition to a stark delineation between faculty and staff (and the very different opportunities available to the people who fall in those categories), departments themselves can be very separated. The college is a state entity, and is thus 1) pressured to do the most with the least, and 2) subject to opacity, bureaucracy, stagnation, top-heavy decision making, egos, complacency and isolation. Each department is vastly different, and the shining stars truly stand out among the best experiences I've ever had in my professional career. It's a delicate dance between going in with energy, enthusiasm and ideas and running into the brick walls of bureaucracy, egos, isolation and so on. I've stayed for as long as I have because I truly believe in the mission of the college, though there are challenging days.