There are newer employer reviews for Minneapolis Schools

My experience with Minneapolis Public Schools was baffling - from the get-go, no on-boarding process.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Teacher in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Schools

Pros

Great peer teachers, great pay, and good professional development.
MPS has an environment where I do believe there is opportunity to grow as a professional.
Every one does their best to teach students and to ignore the very many issues going on in the system.

Cons

The school I was at had extremely poor management, and lost teachers in the middle of the year due to this. It is the kids that lose.
Leaders are not taught how to be business minded, or how to facilitate or manage projects that lead to change.
I had to figure out who to contact to get passwords to access sites needed to find student data, prof. dev., etc. No one even told me so much as the 10 different sites I would need to access. I had to figure it out along the way. Just no direction, really. Everyone seemed in crisis mode.

Technology needs to be integrated. I thought the intranet would streamline this, but instead just added another layers of passwords.
Management needs to learn how to lead, manage, and evaluate staff.
Don't change initiatives so often.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Minneapolis Schools (View Most Recent)

Great pay and benefits, terrible leadership and professional growth opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools

Pros

Higher than average pay and above average benefits for salaried employees. Non-salaried employees get paid well, but do not have as good of benefits.

Cons

There are absolutely no annual reviews, goals, or objectives for anyone other than the teachers. And even though the teachers are reviewed, pay increases are a negotiated benefit for all within the bargaining units regardless of performance. Top performers get a pay increase as well as the lowest or non-performing employees. This is true of all employees as all are in bargaining units and pay increases are negotiated for the group as a whole as opposed to earned individually. Top performers get rewarded with more work where under performers continue to slack!

Start providing reviews, goals, objectives, make pay increases contingent on meeting those goals.

Proud place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools

Pros

Working for the Minneapolis Public Schools has increased my knowledge of the community and made me excited to make a difference in the education system.
    I feel like my work is valuable
    I have a good and manageable workload

Cons

The organization is so large that it feels like changes can never be made. It's the small fish in a big pond idea.

I'm unsure what I can say about advice. I wish communication were better between schools, support and administrative staff, and higher administration.

There are newer employer reviews for Minneapolis Schools

Worked for Minneapolis Schools? Contribute to the Community!