Minted
www.minted.com San Francisco, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Terrible Seasonal/Temp Hiring Practice

Design Associate (Temp) (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsFor graphic designers/production artists who are just starting out, or even still in school, it's a good place to work as seasonal "Design Associates," where you can get a feel of what production work is like, train your eye for details & accuracy, put some basic Adobe CS skills to work, while being exposed to some nicely designed, clean & elegant stationery done by designers across the world.

ConsFor graphic designers/production artists with 3+ years of work experience, working as a "Design Associate" (at least as a temp/seasonal worker) at Minted is only challenging during your first day or two, when you're still trying to navigate through their rather rudimentary computer system. After that, the work does get very tedious.

But the worst part isn't the boredom. It's the fact that they started interviewing & hiring seasonal temps 6 weeks in advance & ask for full-time availability, and everyone they brought on board seems to be looking for full-time hours. Then on the first day of training, they tell you that some days you will only be on stand-by. If you can't come in, you have to trade shifts on your own. If you fail to do so & miss more than 1 day, you're terminated.
But then, they end up only guarantee everyone 1 day of work per week, and put everyone on stand-by for up to 4 other days. And for those other days, you have to wait until 9pm the day before to find out if they need you to go in for sure.

During the first week, everyone worked 3-4 days (because they had 4,500+ orders), then once order volume dropped, people are only given 1, some 2 days of work for the next 3 weeks, and then that's the end of the seasonal employment period.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to hire "a billion" people with full-time availability for insurance purpose, tell them upfront (in the job posting & during the interview) that it's an "on-call" type of seasonal temp position, AND set up a system that will give them the flexibility of deciding whether they will come in or not. I'm no HR expert, but I know those people who actually have the skills & speed to help alleviate massive spikes in orders won't stick around because you're asking them to wait for work while not giving them any flexibility, especially during the holidays when there are a lot more options out there for the better ones!
If this is done right, this pool of seasonal temps can actually be a great place to find your next permanent hires, b/c the top associates have already proven their ability to learn quick & perform under pressure.

A Growing Experience

Operations/Social Media Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: My favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from… Cons: My skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people… Advice to Senior Management: Continue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Working at Minted can be fun but not somewhere to stay if you want a real career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Minted as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: I have to admit, I enjoyed working at Minted. It has helped me get design experience and I love designing stationary and cards so it… Cons: 1. They don't give you a steady schedule and you're basically on call until either there's a holiday or a sale/promotion on their website and… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees better. Stocking the kitchen with snacks, ordering pizza and having beer o'clock, will not make up for lack of shifts, benefits and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Minted.

Worked for Minted? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Minted reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Minted CEO Mariam Naficy. All reviews posted anonymously by Minted employees.