There are newer employer reviews for Minted

Terrible Seasonal/Temp Hiring Practice

Current Employee - Design Associate (Temp) in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Design Associate (Temp) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted

Pros

For graphic designers/production artists who are just starting out, or even still in school, it's a good place to work as seasonal "Design Associates," where you can get a feel of what production work is like, train your eye for details & accuracy, put some basic Adobe CS skills to work, while being exposed to some nicely designed, clean & elegant stationery done by designers across the world.

Cons

For graphic designers/production artists with 3+ years of work experience, working as a "Design Associate" (at least as a temp/seasonal worker) at Minted is only challenging during your first day or two, when you're still trying to navigate through their rather rudimentary computer system. After that, the work does get very tedious.

But the worst part isn't the boredom. It's the fact that they started interviewing & hiring seasonal temps 6 weeks in advance & ask for full-time availability, and everyone they brought on board seems to be looking for full-time hours. Then on the first day of training, they tell you that some days you will only be on stand-by. If you can't come in, you have to trade shifts on your own. If you fail to do so & miss more than 1 day, you're terminated.
But then, they end up only guarantee everyone 1 day of work per week, and put everyone on stand-by for up to 4 other days. And for those other days, you have to wait until 9pm the day before to find out if they need you to go in for sure.

During the first week, everyone worked 3-4 days (because they had 4,500+ orders), then once order volume dropped, people are only given 1, some 2 days of work for the next 3 weeks, and then that's the end of the seasonal employment period.

If you're going to hire "a billion" people with full-time availability for insurance purpose, tell them upfront (in the job posting & during the interview) that it's an "on-call" type of seasonal temp position, AND set up a system that will give them the flexibility of deciding whether they will come in or not. I'm no HR expert, but I know those people who actually have the skills & speed to help alleviate massive spikes in orders won't stick around because you're asking them to wait for work while not giving them any flexibility, especially during the holidays when there are a lot more options out there for the better ones!
If this is done right, this pool of seasonal temps can actually be a great place to find your next permanent hires, b/c the top associates have already proven their ability to learn quick & perform under pressure.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Minted (View Most Recent)

Brilliant business model, fantastic products and even better people!

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved my time at Minted. The business plan the founders have put together, and keep expanding on is fantastic. They truly listen to their customers, and their community of designers to fulfill all wants and needs. They have put together a very strong leadership team who also care very much about their employees - they listen to us, and want us to grow. The products speak for themselves, high quality, beautiful pieces of art and design. And the people are amazing - utterly creative, smart, and great team players.

Cons

I honestly can't think of many con's that a majority of employees have. For me, the only true con was my commute (which was my fault), and it got the best of me, quickly. While they do have a fairly flexible schedule (most people aren't in office before 9am), it was the length of time for me to get to and from the office every day, that didn't provide me, personally a positive life balance. Other than that, I can't think of other "cons".

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep expanding the business which will open doors for new career paths. Consider allowing employees to work from home one day a week if it works for your business model as you grow.

Minted combines a unique business model and fast-paced culture where you'll learn a lot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things about Minted is its business model. Crowdsourcing of designs not only elevates the best designs to the top, but also allows the company to easily expand out of stationery into additional verticals (art, for instance). It's a great place to combine creativity and analytics - the culture is data-driven but still very much with an eye for design.

Culture-wise, Minted feels non-hierarchical - employees' opinions are heard regardless of their level. There aren't any silos or "territories" between departments, and there is a lot of collaboration.

Cons

As a hypergrowth startup, Minted is not a lifestyle company and you'll need to make some personal sacrifices. The upside is that everyone is in the same boat and there is a shared sense of camaraderie.

With everyone moving at maximum speed, sometimes it can feel like not everyone is kept in the loop and people management/careerpathing can feel like it's taking a back seat. Like someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of positive reinforcement so people need to be self-motivated in order to succeed.

Take time to celebrate successes and focus more on people, while still keeping up the agility and fast pace. Minted is at the cusp of becoming a more mature company and what we do now will set the tone for a long time to come.

There are newer employer reviews for Minted