There are newer employer reviews for Minted

Could be better. It is what it is.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will meet great people here and that's what makes your day. Good for putting your foot into the door.

Cons

Unorganized teams, heavy load of rushed work.

Advice to Management

Better micro-management in teams.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fast-paced working environment and strong collaborative morale.

Former Contractor - Billing Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Billing Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great business development strategy enables gifted people to bind together contributing designing unique and creative platform for talented independent designers around the world.

Cons

During the holiday season,a tremendous growth in demand of cards can be confronted with higher risk of logistic and rebate issues requested by clients, which might undermine customer loyalty and interest from potential clients.

Advice to Management

The company is still expanding significantly so the challenging issue for executives should be seeking stable financing channels to support entrepreneurship.

previous review stated: "strong collaborative morale" - was that a bad joke?

Current Contractor - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

location? Beer Friday and Lunch on Thursday? No sorry that will not cut it...

Cons

where to start....

Physical environment :

Most workers (especially those that are contractors) work on plastic folding tables, those lucky ones that are regular employees have "luxurious" IKEA tables. Computers utilized by majority are rentals, most of them with old monitors that are not even calibrated properly, this being "very helpful" for all the folks who have to deal with design programs in some way, shape or form.
    There is a mish-mash of miscellaneous office chairs, most of them by now either broken or dirty, or combination of both. Carpeting is dirty and stained as well, and there is not enough garbage bins around, nor anyone really cares or pays attention to recycling and what goes where.
        Speaking of grime, kitchen area is a complete pigsty where everyone needs their mommy to clean after themselves, the sink is constantly filled with plates caked with dried up leftover food, and the "high end" dishwasher gets constantly broken - mentality of most coworkers seems to be: "someone else will come to clean after me, so who cares"
       Bathrooms are a joke too, but I would rather not go into the details.

Working environment :

Now that is a big joke - across the board it seems that no matter what department you pick you will find a bunch of unhappy and miserable people.
    Departments do not mingle, those that are regular co-workers in particular seem not to bother even to say hello to others. It feels very clique like and if you are not a part of one you might as well start talking to imaginary friends; some folks will clearly display their annoyance and dislike towards you. Think of it as a high school where everyone is pretending to be grown up and very important.
       Speaking of departments HR is yet another joke, contacting them to inquire about an open position results in absolutely nothing - you will never hear back from them. It appears that even though the company CEO Mariam Naficy during every meeting claims that Minted is about promoting from within, I keep seeing people being hired from the outside; and then there's an infamous speech about investing in people and training - another joke. From my observation and experience the management attitude is sink-or-swim.
       Production department resembles a sweat shop where managers (who are obviously not trained or experienced to tackle the issues) push those below them to the extremes - the condescending tone and attitude is a bit appalling. Everyone who had a chance to leave this department has left. There is a constant push for number crunching and reaching some unfathomable goals, while those who actually perform the tasks are constantly understaffed and stressed that they will get reprimanded for not making their numbers.
       Operations department is apparently a bunch of red-haired-step-children who happen to agree to work for 15$ per hour, or even less if you worked as a temp hire during X-mas season. I have met way too many people in this department that are more than overqualified, and what they do is basically copying and pasting existing templates into slightly customized proofs for customers, in order to make files ready for print. All in all, this might be challenging for a week (if so) until you get familiar with pretty convoluted (and fragmented) way of proofing and creating orders, but after that it will become very boring and repetitive. And to spice things up there is always something that was forgotten to be mentioned - some minor change that might mess everything else up.
        Speaking of design, Design department has even less artistic ability or freedom - pretty much most stationery designs were made by outside people who actually do not work for the company - so Design team is simply cleaning up their files before sending them over to Production for further customization to meet digital requirements of the company's internal system.
       Engineering/IT is (as always) a group of brainy, some geeky of course, folks who live in their own realm and plain of existence, perhaps a secret dimension we can not comprehend or reach, for alas we are too simple. They are also perceived as overwhelmed and lost in time/space continuum trying to fix all the quirks. Overall from conversations and interaction with them there is a lot of guessing games and trial-and-error methods involved in their daily work. Thankfully due to their parallel world connections they seem to have more fun (if it can be called so) than most of other departments.
       Marketing and Merchandising departments seem to be composed of mostly untouchable cliques who do not find worthy to say hello or acknowledge puny existence of anyone else outside their little circle. When occasionally forced to listen to their "highly important" conversation, one might think they are solving the Middle East crisis and not deciding upon whether teal or aqua color will be the final background for the new baby shower card, or whether some design should get a second option in yellow. It must be great to be preoccupied with really "important" issues in life......
    There are other more elusive departments such as Printing ( if that is the proper name) Product Development, Quality etc - people you would most likely never interact with, nor look at their (usually) angry and/or annoyed faces.....
        There is a constant feel that no one knows what is going on, nor that there is a clear goal and strategy in mind, decisions are being made very erratically and usually when it is too late, making matters even worse than prior; recently it was decided that (sub-department I have not mentioned yet) Customer Service should get a helping hand due to a ridiculously high surge in orders during holiday season - this naturally resulted in a complete disaster, as all of those that were told to pitch in were not trained and had no idea what they were doing, impeding regular CS people to actually do their own part, making everything lag further and create even more problems by communicating to ( by now angry and impatient) customers misleading information or promising things that could not be fulfilled. This left many people frustrated to say the least, and fearsome of the CEO's reaction and retributions that would follow.

I could continue typing for a while, but one must step outside this little bubble called Minted "start up" and look upon things as a whole, and on a higher plane:

In this horrendous economy I have a job - I might be grumbling but I have a crummy paycheck that covers basic expenses (most of the time, when my shifts are confirmed....) Am I satisfied and is it ideal? - absolutely not, but will I simply type angry rants on here and do nothing - also, absolutely not! Do I think it is unfair that most employers like Minted abuse the state of economy, and have people work in pretty inhumane conditions? - yes I do.
    However I am not giving up, and I will stick it up. For the time being I will play their little games and smile politely. But soon the time will come to say good riddance!

Advice to Management

There is nothing to advise - I think they know quite well what they are doing, those who did not agree with the state of affairs have left. Those that are willing to deal with this mentality, working conditions and nature of business, are obviously sticking around - some might be also in fear of not finding anything better, but then again I highly doubt that they are being paid as little as most folks are.....

Oh yes,
    - please do not boast about a million dollar generated sale days during future meetings - that is very crass and inconsiderate especially if most people do not have medical insurance, or any benefits for that matter, atop of being uncertain if their poorly paid contracts will be extended.....