There are newer employer reviews for Minted

A Growing Experience

Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

Cons

My skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Continue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Minted (View Most Recent)

Working at Minted can be fun but not somewhere to stay if you want a real career

I worked at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have to admit, I enjoyed working at Minted. It has helped me get design experience and I love designing stationary and cards so it was fun (even though I didn't get to actually design any cards, creating proofs for cards is the next best thing.)
    1. Friendly coworkers. Everyone treats each other with respect and are very helpful, and nice people to talk to. It's not like other places where coworkers compete with and/or belittle each other. People here work together as a team and support each other. The people were one of the only reasons why I was so hesitant about leaving, and even if I don't miss the company itself, I will miss the people.
    2. Even though there is not much design work involved, you learn a lot especially about using the software and about design in general. It’s a good way to get experience
    3. Free food and snacks
    4. Flexible schedule, you can drop or trade shifts with others if you don't want to work that day
    5. Relaxed and laid back atmosphere
    6. As redundant as the work was I actually enjoyed it a lot

Cons

1. They don't give you a steady schedule and you're basically on call until either there's a holiday or a sale/promotion on their website and it gets busy. Sometimes you have to wait until the night before to know if you're even working the next day, and when it's slow, expect to go weeks or months with no work. I once went 2 months with no assigned shifts, and had to cover other people's shifts just to be able to work at least once or twice a month (if I was lucky)
    2. No benefits except for permanent employees (and even that I am not sure of)
    Low pay...although I am a recent college graduate and before this, never made more than 10 dollars an hour, so making 14.50 seemed high for me. Maybe it good for someone who is starting out. However, I realized maybe it is low pay for designers especially those who have a bachelors degree. I know people who get paid more than me working in retail and actually get benefits, and these are for jobs that require no degree.
    3. Most employees there are on contract and some are still considered "seasonal or temporary employees" even though they have been there for years. They basically wait until the last day to extend your contract, and keep renewing your contract every few months to a year, and for most people no promise of any permanent employment
    4. While it's a laid back and chill environment, I feel like it can be too unprofessional sometimes. Sometimes it felt like being back in high school. Even in university design classes, the environment was more professional and organized.
    5. Not somewhere to stay if you want to get far in your career.
    6. It’s not a real design job and consists of editing already existing design files
    7. Bad communication between teams and employees and there is no one set of rules. Everyone says something different and has a different way of doing things, so you have to forever guess what to do. And then when you think you did the correct thing, they will tell you that you should have done something else instead.
    8. They are forever changing things and the way they run the business. And sometimes will take away your privileges for no reason at all. I was doing advanced design work because they needed me to, until one of the managers decided to make me start from the basics again. Now I have to work my way back up until I can get to where I was in the beginning. It’s really a joke, yes it is a fun job and a good way to get experience but not somewhere to stay if you want to get far in your career

Treat your employees better. Stocking the kitchen with snacks, ordering pizza and having beer o'clock, will not make up for lack of shifts, benefits and appreciation for your employees.
    Be more organized and consistent, especially about your work system and the way you run things. Don't demote employees for no reason at all and without giving any explanation. Come up with a clear set of rules that all employees and teams will follow, no matter which office they work in.

On-call design assembly line

Former Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You'll be treated like an on-call "designer." I use the word designer loosely--you'll mostly be fixing customers' backlit photos, adjusting the text on their proofs so that it's centered, and adding a stroke to all potentially-hard-to-read fonts so that the card will print better. Customers submit pre-designed templates they've customized using Minted's browser software, and you fix their "mistakes." As you can see, this job can become very monotonous after a few days. The important thing is hitting target numbers; every employee is expected to hit 40 proofs a day and have a 85% quality control approval rate.

You'll get a few confirmed shifts, and some pending ones every week. You won't know that it's confirmed til 9pm the night before. You can expect to work weekends, unless you want to work less than 40 hours a week.

The hours can be very erratic. During peak season (holidays, Easter, wedding season), you'll be able to work 40 hours a week. When this rush dies down (as it will in February, for example) you may go a week without having a confirmed shift.

It's a great job if you're looking to make some extra cash during the holiday season or if you're just starting out your design career. Other than that, there's not a lot of room for growth. You could eventually become a design lead and make $1 more. And maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky become a "design associate trainer" if the current one steps down.

There are no benefits. Your contract will get extended every 3-6 months. You are 1099'd, yet treated like a regular employee. So, take that as you will.

On the plus side, you do get to look at lots of pictures of cute babies and Pinterest-friendly designs all day. And most of the people you work with are pretty great.

Cons

Erratic hours, no room for growth, monotonous and tedious

Treat your employees better.

There are newer employer reviews for Minted