Minute Clinic

www.minuteclinic.com
  www.minuteclinic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Minute Clinic

Awful managers, no sick time, unreasonable expectations, no company support and unprofessional treatment of NPs.

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, but with travel.

Cons

I worked hard, saw more than 40 patients daily in the winter, but when it ot slow in the summer I was forced to take my time off, which was very little because I got no holiday pay, no vacation pay, no sick pay.
I was advised to "go with the flow and give antibiotics for colds" to keep the patients happy if they wanted it. Many patients walked in off the street with their own agenda demanding scripts. I needed to get protection from the manager at closing time and lunch time due to the lines and abuse if people were waiting as I couldn't even get through them to get to the bathroom. Managers never supported the NP who worked alone in the clinic the size of a bathroom, but without a fan or any ventilation.
Managers were threatening, disrespectful, and punitive. During heavy snow, I was told show up or be terminated. When the hurricane hit NJ, my location was closed for more than three days, during which that time I received no pay. MY hours were changed from 40 to 30 to 18 depending on the company demands. I couldn't count on regular pay to support my family.
Only the managers "friends," were invited to company NP dinners. New NPs had no support and had to call other NPs to ask them what to do when they were stuck.
The room has no ventilation; I spent most of my days off with upper respiratory infections, bronchitis, and even whooping cough. I couldn't call in sick because I had to obtain my own coverage which was impossible.
Managers from South Jersey was a bully with aggressive punitive tactics; Northern NJ manager was not interested in staff development, bullied, never praised fpr hard work, "the customer was always right."
Precarious position for NP- as patients walk in without any identification and are seen and treated. They often demand unreasonable treatment modalities, like Levaquin for a cold, or Xanax because they have a headache. They demand to be treated.
 Patients will, often, tell you that they are calling corporate if you take a bathroom break for even five minutes.
 Manager is not supportive of NP; WE, the NPs have no idea who we are treating, what their true identity is, patients come in with no identification in hand or on the electronic medical record, yet the NPs ARE TOLD TO RENEW OVER 200 MEDICATIONS THAT PATIENT MAY WANT, including psychotropic meds and birth control, and more, yet we don't even do a pregnancy test or know if these medications are for the patient or someone else.
New NPs have no experience and are put in busy clinics alone to work autonomously, yet they have no idea what they are doing; oftentimes, I had to offer telephone assistance to help NP get through visit treatment modalities and prescribing for patient.
This is job has no union and brings its 99.9% female NP staff back 60 years with poor and unsafe working conditions and no support or sick days as the hard working (8:30 to 7:30 pm) NP gets sick with all kinds of illnesses and no safety regulations for the NP (no ventilation).

Read and learn. Punitive managerial tactics went out in 1950.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Minute Clinic (View Most Recent)

Disenchanted...

Former Employee - ARNP
    Former Employee - ARNP

I worked at Minute Clinic

Pros

-work under clinical guidelines and professional collaborating physicians
    -upper management is respectful, but lacks vision/direction
    - the patients appreciate the NP's being there for them
    - fair CME comp

Cons

- hourly pay not really commisurate with job expectations
    - constantly decreasing clinic hours of operation (harder to make full time hours) and clinics are constantly opening, then closing down with sudden staff layoffs. happens in cycles.
    - a mere 30 hours/week is considered "full time" so most NP's have another part time job on the side to make up for lost hours; we used to have 12 hour shifts years ago which was more feasable.
    -NO paid holidays off (unless you work the actual holiday)
    - NO sick days whatsoever (it comes out of your PTO days!)
    -only 40 hours of unused PTO rolls over into the next year (includes sick days); use it or lose it
    - if you're too sick to come into work, manager makes you find your own coverage ; no one helps you find someone to work for you. You have to call your roster of fellow NP's while sick in bed if people can't cover, guess who has to work sick?
    -if you need time off you have to go through the same roster of calls and beg coworkers to cover your shift(s)
    - you get paid a couple dollars an hour for being "on call"; you're only paid for 2-3 hours while your entire day is on hold.
    -NP's have to market their own clinic "door to door" and make cold calls to local businesses; no marketing department leading that. NP's with medical degrees must do it.
    - it is normal to travel an hour or more to your regular clinic or staff meetings; they do not take where you live into account, despite what they may say at the interview.

NP are medical professionals well respected in the community and are the driving force of these clinics.

not so bad

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

good place to be a family nurse practitioner for those who need solid support and a well thought out framework to work within. Great autonomy, can do job for your shift and go home and not think about it ubtil you go back for next shift. Computer charting is fantatic - especially compared to the Take Care system. Solid management. A lot of communication from corporate. Seem to listen to the providers ideas/gripes/suggestions.

Cons

Too much corporate stuff - I don't want to do the job of an MBA or marketing manager. A little too much restriction on what an NP can do as far as making a clinical decision as we are trained. Collaberative MD's not always a good fit.

Less marketing and business growth should be put on the NP's - hire a staff for that. Give the NP's some more leeway in clinical decision process.

There are newer employer reviews for Minute Clinic